Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wifi wasnt working in debian 9.0.1

Need help with peripherals or devices?
mharris

Wifi wasnt working in debian 9.0.1

#1 Post by mharris »

I bought this cheap $5 usb wifi dongle https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DS ... UTF8&psc=1

It didn't work with Debian 8.8 and sources wouldn't compile etc so i went ahead and installed debian 9.0.1 from the non-free gnome live cd which included the necessary drivers to get the card to be recognized.

Wireless networks were detected but it couldnt connect to any of them.

I remembered this fix i had to do for ubuntu testing on the same machine with a different card that i did not have do do for debian 8.8. SO.... i tried it and it works.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/902992/ ... 019#905019

The odd thing is that it was not required for debian 8.8, but the wifi adapter does so there is an improvement.

long story short,

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
and add

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no 
and run

sudo service network-manager restart
and it might start working for you as well. Hope this saves someone some time.

orythem27

Re: Wifi wasnt working in debian 9.0.1

#2 Post by orythem27 »

Thank you very much, I haven't realized that it's actually this issue. There are a couple of posts reporting this issue recently, and I told them to disable systemd's predictable ifnames... :oops: Although (coincidentally?...) that will also work, now I guess it's a overkill. Your solution should be the standard.

mharris

Re: Wifi wasnt working in debian 9.0.1

#3 Post by mharris »

Anytime, I"m glad you found it useful.