Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sound setup problem - Powerbook G4 (Powerbook6,2)

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Time4Tea

Sound setup problem - Powerbook G4 (Powerbook6,2)

#1 Post by Time4Tea »

Hi, I'm trying to install Debian Jessie on a 12" Apple Powerbook G4 (Powerbook6,2) and I am having problems getting the sound card to work. I've been reading around online and it seems to be a very common problem with these machines. I've tried all the remedies that I've found (including those mentioned in this thread); however, nothing so far has worked. Here is what I have tried:

Initially, it seemed that all the 'aoa' kernel modules were blacklisted, so I took those out of blacklist.local.conf and blacklisted snd-powermac instead. My blacklist.local.conf file now just has that one entry for snd-powermac. When I rebooted, I found that some of the aoa modules had been loaded and I now had a /proc/asound directory, which wasn't there before.

I added the 'snd-aoa-i2sbus' module to the /etc/modules file, because from what I had read, it seemed like it should be loaded. lsmod|grep snd now gives me this:

lee@localhost:~$ lsmod|grep snd
snd_aoa_codec_tas 9805 0
snd_aoa 13440 1 snd_aoa_codec_tas
snd_aoa_i2sbus 18288 0
snd_aoa_soundbus 3645 1 snd_aoa_i2sbus
snd_pcm 80231 1 snd_aoa_i2sbus
snd_timer 19150 1 snd_pcm
snd 58484 5 snd_aoa_i2sbus,snd_timer,snd_aoa,snd_pcm,snd_aoa_codec_tas
soundcore 5226 1 snd

However, the sound card still doesn't seem to work. cat /proc/asound/cards just gives me 'no soundcard'.

I also read about a possible kernel bug that may be causing the sound card to not be recognized, so I downloaded and installed a patched kernel from here. However, this seemed to make no difference - sound is still firmly not working.

So, I posted this because I've run out of ideas/options. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can resolve this, I'd be very interested to hear. Thanks!