Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED: Update to Stretch: Gnome touchpad options vanished

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Onsemeliot

SOLVED: Update to Stretch: Gnome touchpad options vanished

#1 Post by Onsemeliot »

I just upgraded a Lenovo ThinkPad s440 from Jessie to Stretch. The option of setting the left mouse click on a tab of the touchpad has vanished in Stretch. I find the need for the mouse button very annoying. The Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server (version 1.9.0-1+b1 doesn't seem to fully work since according to the Gnome documentation https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help ... ck.html.en the relevant features do only appear when a touchpad is present.)

Can anyone give me any clues?
Last edited by Onsemeliot on 2017-07-01 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

orythem27

Re: Update to Stretch: Gnome touchpad options vanished

#2 Post by orythem27 »

Onsemeliot wrote:An other issue I encountered is the fact that the option of setting the left mouse click on a tab of the touchpad has vanished in Stretch. I find the need for the mouse button very annoying.
You have two options:
(a) Setup the appropriate option for "libinput" in Xorg.conf;
(b) Revert to the old driver "synaptics" or whatever was being used in Jessie.

See: https://askubuntu.com/a/891262

Onsemeliot

#3 Post by Onsemeliot »

Unfortunately there was no file called "90-libinput.conf". Therefore I tried my luck with the present "40-libinput.conf" file. Oddly enough afterwards I couldn't login any more because any correct password/name combination was refused. Therefore, I switched to command line and withdrew the change. Now I can login again. But of course still without the tab click option.

After some messing around I found out the word "Option" (without quotes) is essential even if all other attributes didn't have any "Option" in their lines. But after I used exactly Option "Tabbing" "true" it just gets ignored.

The files present in my xorg.conf.d folder are:
10-amdgpu.conf
10-evdev.conf
10-qiurks.conf
40-libinput.conf
70-synaptics.conf
70-wacom.conf

orythem27

#4 Post by orythem27 »

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention that you should copy /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/*-libinput.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and make changes there. Or you can verify if the option works with xinput first.

If for whatever reason you cannot get the libinput option to work, you can always revert to synaptics. Delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*-libinput.conf, copy /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/*-synaptics.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. Of course, make sure you have xserver-xorg-input-synaptics installed.

Onsemeliot

#5 Post by Onsemeliot »

orythem27 wrote:Oh, sorry, forgot to mention that you should copy /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/*-libinput.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and make changes there.
Thanks. This finally did the trick. :)

tedrogers

Re: SOLVED: Update to Stretch: Gnome touchpad options vanish

#6 Post by tedrogers »

I didn't need to copy it on stretch.

I just edited:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf
...and added the line so it looks like this:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "Tapping" "true"
EndSection
Works a treat!

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

tedrogers wrote:I didn't need to copy it on stretch.
The files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d are given preference over any settings in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d but the latter files are still parsed so a simple addition will work in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d but it will be overwritten at the next update of the xserver-xorg-input-libinput package.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d is therefore the correct location for any local modifications, any files there will remain untouched by APT.

OT: hi ted! :)
deadbang

tedrogers

#8 Post by tedrogers »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:OT: hi ted! :)
Thanks fellow Bunsenite! ;)

tedrogers

#9 Post by tedrogers »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
tedrogers wrote:I didn't need to copy it on stretch.
The files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d are given preference over any settings in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d but the latter files are still parsed so a simple addition will work in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d but it will be overwritten at the next update of the xserver-xorg-input-libinput package.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d is therefore the correct location for any local modifications, any files there will remain untouched by APT.

OT: hi ted! :)
I didn't have an xorf.conf.d folder within /etc/X11, so I copied the same name folder and contents from /usr/share/X11, and then deleted everything except 40-libinput.conf (now in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d)...is this the appropriate thing to do here?

I then added the relevant lines to the 40-libinput.conf file now in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, and removed the same lines from /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf (so the lines weren't duplicated).

Seems to work!

3mlinuxguy

#10 Post by 3mlinuxguy »

Thanks to the information provided by orythem27 and tedrogers, I was able to get my touchpad working correctly. I ended up installing xserver-xorg-input-synaptics on my laptop. Then I copied the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d folder to the /etc/X11 folder because it didn't exist in the latter location. After that I edited the 40-libinput.conf file to insert the line: Option "Tapping" "true". So now, my 40-libinput.conf file has a section that looks like the following:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "Tapping" "true"
EndSection
After that I rebooted, opened the Mouse and Touchpad settings, changed the Device from "eGalax..." to "SynPS/2 Synaptics Touchpad". Once I did that, I had a new tab that didn't show up previously, "Touchpad". Clicking on that tab allowed be to activate the "Tap touchpad to click" options.