Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which hardwares need firmwares?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
zodac11

Which hardwares need firmwares?

#1 Post by zodac11 »

I am pretty new to linux, and loved it! I managed to understand and solve the problems about installations, apt, and basic commands, however I have not managed to understand one thing. Where can I check which hardwares do I have (like graphic card,sound card,touchpad etc.) and where to look for their drivers? If the drivers are already installed, how can I verify them?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Which hardwares need firmwares?

#2 Post by arochester »

The best test is: Does it work? Yes or No?

If it works, it works. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

You can use apps to find out about your hardware with things like:
lspci/lsusb
hardinfo
inxi

zodac11

#3 Post by zodac11 »

arochester wrote:The best test is: Does it work? Yes or No?

If it works, it works. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

You can use apps to find out about your hardware with things like:
lspci/lsusb
hardinfo
inxi
The problem is I am not sure if my graphics card is working or not. How to be sure that it works? There are certain things like the touchpad, it does work but does not have all the functions. USB's are also problematic to be understood if they are working with 3.0 speed or not. Is there some kind of hardware checking softwares apart from hardinfo which gives the main information but not the drivers?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

Does your computer have a MAKE and MODEL so people might look it up?

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

arochester wrote:Does your computer have a MAKE and MODEL so people might look it up?
Better still, OP, look them up for yourself!

Your question might as well be, "Where can I get tires that fit my car?" Answer: "NFI!"

Sheesh.

zodac11

#6 Post by zodac11 »

Sorry for limited information, my laptop is Lenovo v310.

Intel Core i5
Vendor : Intel Open Source Technology Center
USB controller : Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
Audio device : Intel Corporation Device 9d71
Display controller : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sun XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330 / M430]
Ethernet controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2)

I only managed to find driver for the wifi though, but for the above mentioned ones I am lost.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

"Where can I get tires that fit my car?"
At the tire store ? :mrgreen:

=========================
Which hardwares need firmware for Debian
https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

orythem27

#8 Post by orythem27 »

zodac11 wrote:Audio device : Intel Corporation Device 9d71
Once newer kernels and graphics stack got backported into stretch-bpo you can test them out to see if things get better. Or, give those bleeding edge distros such as Fedora 26 a test drive. (Live CD/USB)
zodac11 wrote:Is there some kind of hardware checking softwares apart from hardinfo which gives the main information but not the drivers?
With utilities such as lshw, lspci, lsusb it's easy to show the drivers being used, but you couldn't really tell if the new tyre compound fits your driving style or not - you'll have to test drive yourself.

Wheelerof4te

#9 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I only managed to find driver for the wifi though, but for the above mentioned ones I am lost.
If you got the wi-fi working, then kudos to you! Everything else is included in the linux kernel, so your machine should work well with the free drivers. Read about the open source driver for Radeon cards to learn how to enable them when you need it. Linux 4.9+amdgpu driver support hybrid graphics with PRIME.

If you need latest driver versions, I suggest Manjaro alongside already mentioned Fedora 26. Try the live version of your choice, it should recognize your hardware OOB :)

shep

#10 Post by shep »

zodac11 wrote:Sorry for limited information, my laptop is Lenovo v310.

Intel Core i5

Display controller : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sun XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330 / M430]
It looks like you have hybrid AMD/Intel graphics. If your bios allows the easiest way to get graphics is to disable one of the cards. Otherwise here is a debian wiki on hybrid graphics https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Hybrid_Graphics

And here is one for a slightly earlier leveno
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... 8jessie%29

HuangLao

#11 Post by HuangLao »

:roll:
*buntu invasion