Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

External microphone in a laptop doesn't work

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Jjueh3

External microphone in a laptop doesn't work

#1 Post by Jjueh3 »

In my Dell 5567 with Debian 9 I want to use a headset with a combojack at the end and use it's microphone insted of my laptops internal one.
Only the internal builtin mic is displayed in the input sound tab. It works on windows so the hardware is ok.

What is interesting is that I have an option to disable or enable the microphone in the UEFI but it doesn't specify if it is the internal microphone that is being disabled or all of the microphone inputs, after turning off the mic in the UEFI, in Linux the internal mic is gone indeed. But there is an Analog input listed in the audio pane which is doesn't work(is silent).
So if I disable the mic in the UEFi I think it disables all mic ports because on Windows after disabling there isn't any microphones available.
The sound in the headset works but the microphone doesn't, how can I get it to work?

Code: Select all

arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3246 Analog [ALC3246 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -A3 Audio
00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:9d71] (rev 21)
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
	Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_soc_skl