Firewire soundcard not working properly

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Firewire soundcard not working properly

Postby mef » 2017-07-07 14:19

I've installed Debian Stretch on my desktop, which uses a firewire soundcard (M-Audio ProFire-610). The sound card doesn't perform well, namely: it has a light indicator that blinks if something's not right, and it blinks all the time instead of glowing continuosly. If I play any music, there's a slight delay before playing, then the light stops blinking and lights up, and the music plays normally. But if I stop the music, or even pause it, the light starts blinking again, and I get new delay if I unpause it.
What can I do to properly diagnose it? I've read that there's some thing called FFADO, and my card is supported, I don't know how to configure it though. Any suggestions appreciated.
mef

Re: Firewire soundcard not working properly

Postby mef » 2017-07-11 13:52

Another thing that I've found out during my fruitless attempts to get it to work right: if I open "Settings — Sound" and go to "Sound effects" tab the light indicating that the sound card is on starts shining, and everything works without any lag just until I close it. So If I keep the settings window open, I get a seemingly functional sound on my machine.
Except, when I open a 5.1 channel videos in any video player, I don't hear main channels, seems like only the two channels with special effects / background noises are being played.
mef

Return to Hardware