Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Firewire soundcard not working properly

Need help with peripherals or devices?
mef

Firewire soundcard not working properly

#1 Post by mef »

I've installed Debian Stretch on my desktop, which uses a firewire soundcard (M-Audio ProFire-610). The sound card doesn't perform well, namely: it has a light indicator that blinks if something's not right, and it blinks all the time instead of glowing continuosly. If I play any music, there's a slight delay before playing, then the light stops blinking and lights up, and the music plays normally. But if I stop the music, or even pause it, the light starts blinking again, and I get new delay if I unpause it.
What can I do to properly diagnose it? I've read that there's some thing called FFADO, and my card is supported, I don't know how to configure it though. Any suggestions appreciated.

mef

Re: Firewire soundcard not working properly

#2 Post by mef »

Another thing that I've found out during my fruitless attempts to get it to work right: if I open "Settings — Sound" and go to "Sound effects" tab the light indicating that the sound card is on starts shining, and everything works without any lag just until I close it. So If I keep the settings window open, I get a seemingly functional sound on my machine.
Except, when I open a 5.1 channel videos in any video player, I don't hear main channels, seems like only the two channels with special effects / background noises are being played.