Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

MOUNT A VFAT 32 PARTITION ON DEBIAN 9

Need help with peripherals or devices?
UsernameV

MOUNT A VFAT 32 PARTITION ON DEBIAN 9

#1 Post by UsernameV »

Hi, i have a problem. I have recently made a new cleaninstall of debian, and everything was OK, but now, and i dont know how, i doesnt allow me to mount my fat32 partition (wich is the largest in my SATA hard disk), and my user is a sudoer, so, i dont know whats wrong.
I need Help, even i couldn't mount it from the terminal, but i have the same debian 9 in an usb memory and i can mount perfectly the partition on it.
Also, how can i configure the fstab to automount that partition when my system start?
Thank you.
Screenshot of my problem:
https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/ ... t-problem/

dasein

Re: MOUNT A VFAT 32 PARTITION ON DEBIAN 9

#2 Post by dasein »

UsernameV wrote:i couldn't mount it from the terminal
Post the exact command you used and the exact error message verbatim (not what you think it says)

Consult man fstab for your question regarding fstab syntax.
UsernameV wrote:Screenshot of my problem:
A bunch of icons and what looks like it might be an error message (in Spanish?) in the middle of the screen isn't diagnostically useful.

UsernameV

#3 Post by UsernameV »

UsernameV wrote:Screenshot of my problem:
A bunch of icons and what looks like it might be an error message (in Spanish?) in the middle of the screen isn't diagnostically useful.[/quote]

Im latinamerican, and my system is in Spanish.
The error says "Can not mount 173 GB Volume"

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

If you won't provide diagnostic information when asked, there is no point in anyone trying to help you.

Done here.

UsernameV

#5 Post by UsernameV »

Also, the error when i try to mount the partition says:

"Can not found (volume name) in /etc/fstab

Dai_trying

#6 Post by Dai_trying »

Image posted says you do not have permission, so I would suggest trying to mount as root, your last post regarding volume name not being found is due to not having a line in fstab to mount that partition automatically but still expecting it to be mounted without any mount information. I have had some problems with fat32 in the past but they are usually on usb devices as I wouldn't use fat32 for a HDD (just my preference).

You could try this to get it mounted manually
  • 1. Find partition device (you could use sudo blkid to get the /dev/sdXX reference)
    2. Mount device to /mnt directory (sudo mount /dev/sdXX /mnt)
    3. Check partition contents are available from /mnt
    4. Unmount it. (sudo umount /dev/sdXX)
    5. Add entry to fstab with correct parameters for loading the fat32 partition (you can {and probably should} use the UUID instead of the /dev/sdXX reference here)
After adding to fstab you could simply use the mount command and it will mount to the given mount point, although it will be automatically mounted at boot time so you would not usually need to do this. I don't know the specific instructions (if any are required) for mounting fat32 from fstab, but I'm sure a google of "mount fat32 from fstab" would give that information easily enough.

HTH