Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help installing NVIDIA drivers

Need help with peripherals or devices?
MrCitron

Re: Help installing NVIDIA drivers

#31 Post by MrCitron »

Hi loki,
I ran this workaround for some 2-3 weeks before discovering the kernel option switch that resolved my issue, during that time the workaround functioned very well and unobtrusively.
Can you explain a bit more what this kernel switch is, and how you have enabled it ?

Thank you !

loki

#32 Post by loki »

MrCitron wrote:Can you explain a bit more what this kernel switch is, and how you have enabled it ?
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the kernel switch/boot parameter that is working for me is...

Code: Select all

acpi_rev_override
You can test it as a one time boot option by pressing 'E' to edit the highlighted grub menu item and add "acpi_rev_override" to the end of kernel line.

Or, to add this option permanently edit the file...

/etc/default/grub
...Find the line...

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
... and add the option by changing the line to...

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_rev_override"
After saving the file changes remember to run update grub...

# update-grub
The machine's firmware can expose the hardware to the OS differently depending on the ACPI version the OS reports. My machine's firmware expects all Linux OS' to return 5 as the ACPI version, the acpi_rev_override option forces the OS to return 5 as the ACPI version regardless of actual version.

MrCitron

#33 Post by MrCitron »

Hi loki,

thank you for your answer.

I confirm that adding

acpi_rev_override=1
solve the freezing issue in Gnome post login (Ubuntu 17.04) on my Gigabyte Aero 15 laptop.

Metin