Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Networking issues... possibly driver related?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
jtpavlock

Networking issues... possibly driver related?

#1 Post by jtpavlock »

Hi there, first post on these forums and first time Debian user :)

Just put together a new server running Debian Stretch and everything is running smoothly so far save some networking issues.

I have 1Gbps internet and can consistently get between 750-950 Mbps U/D on my laptop. However, when I hook my server up to the internet via the same connection (cable and all), I only get between 250-500Mbps down and a horrendus ~15Mbps up. The network on the server has also just been unstable and occasionally dropping out.

My setup is a Supermicro X9DRL-iF which has a Intel® 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controller. Now this should be able to support the speeds I'm looking for as far as I can tell.

I also tried installing Ubuntu and everything was fine. I checked the network drivers and compared it to Debian, but it looks like they are both running e1000e 3.2.6-k

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Note: speed results coming from speedtest-cli

debiman

Re: Networking issues... possibly driver related?

#2 Post by debiman »

are you sure you aren't confusing Mbps with MBps? bits with bytes? 1 byte = 8 bit?