Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Read the script within `Nautilus→Right Clk→Eject Remov...`?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
bkpsusmitaa

Read the script within `Nautilus→Right Clk→Eject Remov...`?

#1 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

Since Debian Wheezy there lies options for Ejecting Removable Media in Nautilus, even the oldest ones that are difficult to power-off and remove.
How can I access the script that is used in `Nautilus→Right Clk→Eject Removable Media` system-wide? Other file managers don't have this facility.

I also need to know which Kernel module writes the Bind and Unbind files associated with the USB devices? Please note this post: Manual driver binding and unbinding
... In order to unbind a device from a driver, simply write the bus id of the device to the unbind file ...
&
... simply write the bus id of the device you wish to bind, into the bind file for that driver ...
What specifically do the Bind and Unbind files do? They don't appear to be executable files! I have skimmed the Administrator's Handbook but didn't find any entry. Maybe, I am overlooking. Where do I find this part?

The Debian Manual Pages has the Bind & Unbind pointers here , struct_usb_composite_driver - groups configurations into a gadget but I am not clear how they work.

I also don't know what particularly this code

Code: Select all

echo 'x-y' | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind
does!
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2017-08-15 03:01, edited 2 times in total.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home

orythem27

Re: Read the script within `Nautilus→Right Clk→Eject Remov..

#2 Post by orythem27 »

bkpsusmitaa wrote:How can I access the script that is used in `Nautilus→Right Clk→Eject Removable Media` system-wide?
In modern versions of Debian, most file managers use udisks2 for removable volume management. Not sure if this is true for pre-systemd releases.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:Other file managers don't have this facility.
Really?
bkpsusmitaa wrote:I also need to know which Kernel module writes the Bind and Unbind files associated with the USB devices?
Watch the live stream of syslog by either "journalctl -f" or "tail -f /var/log/syslog" while inserting usb devices. Usually you would see some actions under the hood.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:I have skimmed the Administrator's Handbook but didn't find any entry. Maybe, I am overlooking. Where do I find this part?
Watch the live stream of syslog by either "journalctl -f" or "tail -f /var/log/syslog" while ejecting removeable medias in Nautilus. Usually you would see some actions under the hood.

bkpsusmitaa

Re:Read the script within `Nautilus→Right Clk→Eject Remov..?

#3 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

orythem27 wrote:
bkpsusmitaa wrote:Other file managers don't have this facility.
Really?
Yes, like pcmanfm doesn't do that. Knoppix has LXDE windows manager. It doesn't have the facility.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:I also need to know which Kernel module writes the Bind and Unbind files associated with the USB devices? Please note this post: Manual driver binding and unbinding
... In order to unbind a device from a driver, simply write the bus id of the device to the unbind file ...
&
... simply write the bus id of the device you wish to bind, into the bind file for that driver ...
What specifically do the Bind and Unbind files do? They don't appear to be executable files! I have skimmed the Administrator's Handbook but didn't find any entry. Maybe, I am overlooking. Where do I find this part?

The Debian Manual Pages has the Bind & Unbind pointers here , struct_usb_composite_driver - groups configurations into a gadget but I am not clear how they work.

I also don't know what particularly this code

Code: Select all

echo 'x-y' | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind
does!
The other parts of my original post have been quoted above. Those parts also need to be addressed to. I was editing the post when you replied.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home