Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Blank tablet screen on Viglen Connect 9 Tablet

Need help with peripherals or devices?
aniseed

Blank tablet screen on Viglen Connect 9 Tablet

#1 Post by aniseed »

Hi,

I have acquired an unwanted tablet, which I would thought I would try to install Debian on. It is called a:
Viglen Connect 9 Tablet. Originally it ran Windows 10 and it is a cheap tablet.

All I am really looking for is to run Firefox and a PDF reader on it. I have attached a USB hub which gives me wireless access, a USB mouse and Keyboard. Although it would be nice to have the touchscreen working for mouse and keyboard input, at the moment this is low priority. I downloaded Debian 9.1 (i386) on to a USB stick and ran the installer on the tablet. The tablet runs the installer on either the tablet's in-build screen or from the HDMI port with no issues. The installer also works on graphics mode. Once Debian is installed however, only the output from the HDMI port works. The backlight on the tablet screen appears to be on, however the screen is black and blank.

When running off the HDMI port, Linux seems to recognise the tablet screen as a separate display. It is listed as an unknown display device, but does find all of it's supported resolutions. I have tried various xrandr commands to try to get the tablet screen to display anything without success.

hwinfo identified the Graphics card as:

Hardware Class: graphics card
Device Name: "Onboard IGD"
Model: "Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display"
Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"

I can provide any further information as needed.

I would give up on the device as simply being unsupported hardware, however, as the graphical install does work, I am wondering if I can revert to the driver which is being used during the install rather than the driver which is giving me a blank screen. I have tried removing the i915 driver (xserver-xorg-video-intel), however the same issue occurs. I have also been reading articles such as:

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/T100TA

as the hardware seems very similar, however no one seems to have quite the same issue as this. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
--
Rob Day

aniseed

Re: Blank tablet screen on Viglen Connect 9 Tablet

#2 Post by aniseed »

Did I phrase the issue badly, or is this just an issue no one has an answer for yet?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

--
Rob Day

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by None1975 »

Apparently nobody has experience with this machine, so it does not answer your problem
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

sujitvasanth

#4 Post by sujitvasanth »

.hi i did a i had bricked my tablet - similar thing - installed ubuntu via a usb stiick and all worked. rebooted and got a black screen, no bios screen. no battery charging screen,the red camera on indicator stays on until the battery drains. I assumed it was bicked but Iwill go and find a mini hdmi lead i case its the same problem. did you get bios/battery screens still?