Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Missing firmware drivers in Debian 9 on Asus X441UA

Need help with peripherals or devices?
ashikuzzaman.ar

Missing firmware drivers in Debian 9 on Asus X441UA

#1 Post by ashikuzzaman.ar »

Hello there,

I'm a new Debian user and I have been using Ubuntu since 7 years. I'm not a geek in Debian and I'm facing a lot of problem after installing fresh Debian 9. In live mode it's running very well. After installing It's showing that some firmware are missing and they are failed to load. I have listed some of them and they are: i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_01.bin, rtlwifi/rtl8723befw.bin, rtl_bt/rtl8723b_config.bin, rtl_nic/rtl8106e-1.fw, rtl_bt/rtl8723b_fw.bin, etc with error code -2.

I found an article from this forum related to this topic, and this is the link http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=72645. In this article they described that if system runs file then ignore that warning. After booting my laptop all are functioning fine but if I restart wifi router then my system freezes and blinks and then session logged out after some time. In boot time system freezes too long time for this warning log. This is really a horrible problem!

If that firmwares are missing then why and how wifi, bluetooth and lan is working after booting the system. If they are working then why that is necessary to load another firmware.

As far I learn, those firmwares are non-free. If I don't want to use them then what is the procedure to avoid them and stop this warning messages. This process kills too many time in booting process. System crush or freezing is too annoying while working something important.

Please give me an advice if it's solvable. I used Ubuntu before since a long time and Ubuntu did such king of horrible system fault never. Please give me an advice so that I can use Debian smoothly.

Attachment:
1. Picture of system boot time image.

Thank you very much in advance.

kedaha

Re: Missing firmware drivers in Debian 9 on Asus X441UA

#2 Post by kedaha »

Hello,
Your laptop hardware requires the missing firmware drivers, which are provided in the following packages:
firmware-misc-nonfree - Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel
firmware-realtek - Binary firmware for Realtek wired/wifi/BT adapters
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

ashikuzzaman.ar

#3 Post by ashikuzzaman.ar »

kedaha wrote:Hello,
Your laptop hardware requires the missing firmware drivers, which are provided in the following packages:
firmware-misc-nonfree - Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel
firmware-realtek - Binary firmware for Realtek wired/wifi/BT adapters
Thank you for your reply. If this firmware is still required then how it's working now. If it's working now then why it's still required? If I want to install that firmware then how can I install that?

As far I know non-free firmwares are not recommended for some security and licence issue. Is it really harmful for a system or not? I have no knowledge on this topic so please don't mind for such silly questions.

Thank you again.

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

It's very easy to install the firmware drivers, for example /how-do-i-enable-non-free-packages-on-debian/ will do. If the freezes or crashes persist, then the absence of firmware can be discarded; if on the other hand the issue ceases, then the firmware is required. As for security, of course it's preferable to have hardware which does not require binary-only firmware. See for instance this discussion: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=132105.
Hope this helps.
DebianStable

$ vrms

ashikuzzaman.ar

#5 Post by ashikuzzaman.ar »

Thank you very much @kedah ,

I completely understand the fact. Can you please tell me how to stop console logging and these reports? How to stop logging such error messages and reports? I suddenly noticed that log files (/var/log/*) are getting big very fast.

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

You should post a new topic about logs.
DebianStable

$ vrms