Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

AMD OpenCL on Debian Testing

Need help with peripherals or devices?
schmidtbag

AMD OpenCL on Debian Testing

#1 Post by schmidtbag »

So I've got a headless media PC running Debian Testing on an AMD Athlon 5350. This has a HD 8400, which to my understanding is a GCN 1.0 GPU. Since this isn't exactly the most powerful PC, I'd like to do GPU encoding to help speed up the process wherever I can when converting videos.

I'm in a bit of an annoying situation:
Debian doesn't offer fglrx anymore since Stretch, which has OpenCL support for my GPU. But, Debian doesn't support amdgpu-pro either. Even if it did (where I really just need the ROCm package), it doesn't appear to support APUs with hardware this outdated. I don't think I could install fglrx anymore because it won't support the kernel in Stretch and newer. I'm using Testing because (at least back when Jessie was stable) some packages I needed either didn't exist or are too outdated in Jessie.

Any suggestions as to how I can get OpenCL installed? Remember, I don't need a GUI or OpenGL drivers - I just need OpenCL.