Ralink driver issues mt7 dongle plz help!!

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Re: Ralink driver issues mt7 dongle plz help!!

Postby nadielaya7 » 2017-11-06 14:46

Will installing the firmware-ralink package conflict with the firmware-misc-nonfree package?

Although I'm extremely grateful, I have to admit that the signal reception with firmware-misc-nonfree is not as strong as I thought it could be , I'm placing my mobile hotspot right next to the computer and also in many places (because sometimes putting the wifi hotspot right next to your computer actually makes it worse) and I can never get anything over 71 per cent reception in the signal power.

Made me think about the other ralink-firmware package and about my previous drivers, inevitably.

I never compared the 2 signal strengths between the other driver I was using and the one we have in the repos now, a shame as It would be the perfect way to say if theres anything weird.

Why have 2 separate packages like that? Why both ralink-firmware and the misc one in the repos? Shoulnt the ralink firmware be the main one to use and should work? Should I evern try the ralink-firmware package at all?
nadielaya7

Postby shep » 2017-11-06 15:44

There is no advantage to additionally install the firmware-ralink package.

As far a signal strength, these usb adapters come in 2 forms:

1) a "nano" adapter with an extremely small internal antennae internal antennae example
2) adapters with larger external antennas. external antennae example

The antennae length can have a significant impact on signal strength. Many pci/pci-e adapters can be had with either 2db or 5 db antenna's.
Decibels are logarithmic, an increase of 2db doubles signal strength.
shep

Postby Thorny » 2017-11-06 17:50

shep wrote:There is no advantage to additionally install the firmware-ralink package.

@nadielaya7 This is correct, if you go to to the Debian package search site for "firmware-ralink" you will see it is a virtual package that is provided by firmware-misc-nonfree.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firmware-ralink

shep wrote:...
Decibels are logarithmic, an increase of 2db doubles signal strength.

Was this a typo shep, when I was in school 3db was double the power. Just a minor point, which does not detract from your explanation of the two different models of adapter, which makes sense.
Thorny

Previous

Return to Hardware