Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ralink driver issues mt7 dongle plz help!!

Need help with peripherals or devices?
nadielaya7

Re: Ralink driver issues mt7 dongle plz help!!

#16 Post by nadielaya7 »

Will installing the firmware-ralink package conflict with the firmware-misc-nonfree package?

Although I'm extremely grateful, I have to admit that the signal reception with firmware-misc-nonfree is not as strong as I thought it could be , I'm placing my mobile hotspot right next to the computer and also in many places (because sometimes putting the wifi hotspot right next to your computer actually makes it worse) and I can never get anything over 71 per cent reception in the signal power.

Made me think about the other ralink-firmware package and about my previous drivers, inevitably.

I never compared the 2 signal strengths between the other driver I was using and the one we have in the repos now, a shame as It would be the perfect way to say if theres anything weird.

Why have 2 separate packages like that? Why both ralink-firmware and the misc one in the repos? Shoulnt the ralink firmware be the main one to use and should work? Should I evern try the ralink-firmware package at all?

shep

#17 Post by shep »

There is no advantage to additionally install the firmware-ralink package.

As far a signal strength, these usb adapters come in 2 forms:

1) a "nano" adapter with an extremely small internal antennae internal antennae example
2) adapters with larger external antennas. external antennae example

The antennae length can have a significant impact on signal strength. Many pci/pci-e adapters can be had with either 2db or 5 db antenna's.
Decibels are logarithmic, an increase of 2db doubles signal strength.

Thorny

#18 Post by Thorny »

shep wrote:There is no advantage to additionally install the firmware-ralink package.
@nadielaya7 This is correct, if you go to to the Debian package search site for "firmware-ralink" you will see it is a virtual package that is provided by firmware-misc-nonfree.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firmware-ralink
shep wrote:...
Decibels are logarithmic, an increase of 2db doubles signal strength.
Was this a typo shep, when I was in school 3db was double the power. Just a minor point, which does not detract from your explanation of the two different models of adapter, which makes sense.