Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[*SOLVED]Stretch and Edimax 'EW-7811UTC' wifi dongle problem

Need help with peripherals or devices?
consufed

[*SOLVED]Stretch and Edimax 'EW-7811UTC' wifi dongle problem

#1 Post by consufed »

Some 18 months ago I bought a EW-7811UTC and installed it under Jessie using the following:

Code: Select all

su
	apt-get update
	apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential git
	git clone https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au.git
	cd ~/rtl8812au
	make
	make install
	modprobe 8812au
Great. Fantastic. Recently I upgraded successfully to Stretch, and the wifi dongle continued to work fine with no attention needed. Two days ago the system HDD failed and had to be replaced, so a fresh install of Stretch was done.
Unfortunately the above code no longer works, and I have no wifi.
I installed the "linux kernel headers", and downloaded a driver kit from the Edimax website.
On running the 'install.sh' supplied, I receive the following message:
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.9.0-4-amd64/build: No such file or directory.
Well, there is indeed no such directory. Searching on the error message returns nothing that helps, although I get that same error message on a number of different 'could work' drivers.
Last edited by consufed on 2017-11-12 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Stretch and Edimax 'EW-7811UTC' wifi dongle problem

#2 Post by stevepusser »

There are no "linux-headers-generic" in the Debian repos--those are strictly Ubuntu packages. Please explain why you don't get an error when you run the command to install them--a Debian system will always error out if you try to install a package that's not in the available repos.
MX Linux packager and developer

consufed

#3 Post by consufed »

Would someone please explain or link to how to extract a specific device firmware from the realtek firmware package, or provide a link.

consufed

#4 Post by consufed »

Steve Pusser wrote: "There are no "linux-headers-generic" in the Debian repos--those are strictly Ubuntu packages. Please explain why you don't get an error"

What? There was me thinking that Ubuntu was based on Debian and that there is some commonality. I'll delete that idea.
I did not imply there was no error.
But semantics doesn't get me any further. If you know of a method to extract a specific binary and get it in the right place, please elucidate or link. Thanks.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Wikidevi seems to think the device is supported:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Edimax_EW-7811UTC

Have you installed the non-free firmware package that is required by your unfortunate choice of hardware?
deadbang

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

consufed wrote:Steve Pusser wrote: "There are no "linux-headers-generic" in the Debian repos--those are strictly Ubuntu packages. Please explain why you don't get an error"

What? There was me thinking that Ubuntu was based on Debian and that there is some commonality. I'll delete that idea.
I did not imply there was no error.
But semantics doesn't get me any further. If you know of a method to extract a specific binary and get it in the right place, please elucidate or link. Thanks.
You need to explain exactly what commands you tried in Stretch and the way they failed. There is much in common between Debian and Ubuntu, but the kernel names are one of the differences. Don't assume any recipe for Ubuntu will work the same in Debian.
MX Linux packager and developer

consufed

#7 Post by consufed »

Having restored most of my system, I returned to crack the wifi problem.
I executed the following commands / actions line by line:

Code: Select all

su
	apt-get update
	uname -r           #this gives the kernel version, e.g. 4.9.0-4-amd64
	-> install the corresponding kernel header for the version - I used synaptic <-
	git clone https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au.git
	cd rtl8812au
	make
	make install
	modprobe 8812au
The wifi now works. Thanks for the spurring comments!