Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Asus ux310uq-fb418t

Need help with peripherals or devices?
debigokan

Asus ux310uq-fb418t

#1 Post by debigokan »

Hello

I am thinking of buying the ASUS UX310UQ-FB418T. But I do not know if I will be compatible with Debian.

Can you help with this ?

Capitain_Jack

Re: Asus ux310uq-fb418t

#2 Post by Capitain_Jack »

I think I can. You must identify some internal parts and search for compatibility here: (chip set or motherboard, processor code name for graphics and processor)
https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

In my experience asus machines are often one of the easiest to maintain on linux. You can even update the UEFi/firmware without Windows/DOS. The special "multimedia buttons" also often work. However, it will vary depending on what parts are used in that particular machine, you know, asus uses alot of different parts.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debigokan wrote:I am thinking of buying the ASUS UX310UQ-FB418T. But I do not know if I will be compatible with Debian.
If that machine uses hardware that was introduced after the last Debian stable release date then it may not be supported properly but you might be able to get it working with the backports repository.

Most hardware these days needs some non-free firmware as well, usually for the wireless cards, and this will not be included in the official release, as per Debian policy.

If your hardware is too new for stretch and you don't like blobs then try Parabola:

https://www.parabola.nu/
deadbang

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

If you can get access to the machine, see if you can get permission to try a live USB in it. That's the best method, but of course that's not always possible.
MX Linux packager and developer