Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install Debian 8 Linux in the MacBook

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Chaklader

Install Debian 8 Linux in the MacBook

#1 Post by Chaklader »

I have a white MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) and I upgraded to 8 GB RAM into it. It has 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed with 1066MHz frontside bus and 250 GB storage.

Would it be a good idea to install Debian Jessie (8)* Linux into it (as solo OS) and how that would turn up for the software development works? I'm a Java developer uses IntelliJ as the primary tool for the development and have medium sizes codebase. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

* For particular work environment setup, I know there is 9 already

Capitain_Jack

Re: Install Debian 8 Linux in the MacBook

#2 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Start over here:
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Apple

And here:
https://wiki.debian.org/MacBook

Please, if you consider you post solved, edit the first message title and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of it, others can benefit from your solution.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

NHOJ

#3 Post by NHOJ »

Your specs are very similar to my Mac Mini. I installed Stretch on it about a year ago using the wiki entry Capitain_Jack references above. I love it! I can't comment on the dev question, as I'm just an average household user.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Does your laptop use a Broadcom wi-fi chipset? Those are often a challenge to get working on Debian, especially if you depend on wi-fi for Net access to start with. (though I know a shortcut for some chipsets)
MX Linux packager and developer

loubapache

#5 Post by loubapache »

I installed Stretch (XFCE) on a mid 2010 Macbook Pro with the Broadcom wi-fi chipset. I had to connect a wired network cable to install the B43 firmware. Then it worked fine.

I am dual booting with OS X High Sierra. Frankly I do not boot to OS X much.

I also tried to use the Nvidia 340 driver as it worked in Linux Mint 18.2 XFCE (I tried that before Debian Stretch) but it crashed (could not boot to graphical login window) in Debian. I had to restore to the nouveau driver.