Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

rtl8723bs driver

Need help with peripherals or devices?
DIONISIS POLITIS

rtl8723bs driver

#1 Post by DIONISIS POLITIS »

I can't find a driver for the rtl8723bs chip. Any suggestion?

kopper

Re: rtl8723bs driver

#2 Post by kopper »

Maybe tell us what you're running? Stable, Testing, Sid, Ubuntu, other..? Check that you have non-free included in your sources list.

Stable doesn't seem to have it in firmware-realtek package, Sid and backports do. Didn't look for testing but maybe you can handle that yourself.

Instructions how you install backports here, if that's what you need.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

EDIT1: Wifi: I have successfully made the internal wifi working. The tables uses a Realtek rtl8723bs sdio adapter. The drivers can be found here. I had to insmod the .ko file manually to make it work.
https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... ap_tablet/

DIONISIS POLITIS

#4 Post by DIONISIS POLITIS »

kopper wrote:Maybe tell us what you're running? Stable, Testing, Sid, Ubuntu, other..? Check that you have non-free included in your sources list.

Stable doesn't seem to have it in firmware-realtek package, Sid and backports do. Didn't look for testing but maybe you can handle that yourself.

Instructions how you install backports here, if that's what you need.
thanks for the answer. I run sid but the aforementioned package does not include r8723bs, as i saw after i had downloaded it. Finally i found it at git but when I run 'modprobe r8723bs' I get a 'fatal error:no module found' message.

DIONISIS POLITIS

#5 Post by DIONISIS POLITIS »

arochester wrote:
EDIT1: Wifi: I have successfully made the internal wifi working. The tables uses a Realtek rtl8723bs sdio adapter. The drivers can be found here. I had to insmod the .ko file manually to make it work.
https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... ap_tablet/
thanks for your answer. I downloaded the package from git but I don't know how to manually insmod the .ko file. actually i do not see a .ko file. :(

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

It would help to post a link to exactly what you downloaded from Github. Usually you have to build a module using the downloaded files and directions are often included in a README file and/or on the Github page.

Edit - found it from reddit link - https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs
To install, you need to build the driver module with make/makeinstall (you can search how to do that).
The README file also mentioned the driver was merged to kernel 4.12 so just install a later kernel from backports should work. You would need firmware-realtek from backports as well.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

DIONISIS POLITIS

#7 Post by DIONISIS POLITIS »

sunrat wrote:It would help to post a link to exactly what you downloaded from Github. Usually you have to build a module using the downloaded files and directions are often included in a README file and/or on the Github page.

Edit - found it from reddit link - https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs
To install, you need to build the driver module with make/makeinstall (you can search how to do that).
The README file also mentioned the driver was merged to kernel 4.12 so just install a later kernel from backports should work. You would need firmware-realtek from backports as well.
thank you for the answer. The problem is that I did all these things and still have no success. I run kernel 4.14., (i run buster/sid) additionally i downloaded the driver, I did build it with make/makeinstall and when i modprobe it i did get a 'FATAL error, module not in lib/modules etc.'. so I had to download the .ko file from git , now i don't get this FATAL error etc, but Still no internal wireless (temporarily i use a usb dongle).
the lshw and lspci | wireless don't show any hing , so perhaps is a hardware problem. I will send it to the service to find out...