Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ACPI hardware issue

Need help with peripherals or devices?
pelomedusa

ACPI hardware issue

#1 Post by pelomedusa »

Hello,
I have a problem with my hardware and my debian shows a black screen. Right before the screen goes black, i can see this very quickly (pic below):

From what i can read:

Code: Select all

ACPI Error! [DSCP] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20160831/psargs-359)
ACPI Error! [DSCP] Method parse/execution failed (\_SB.PCIO.SATO.SPTS/_GTF) 
If i boot with

acpi=off
i can login and everything works

If i dont, the screen goes black but the shell is still working (i managed to blindly login and to reboot with

sudo reboot
I have no idea where to start looking. If anyone could tell me which component failed and/or where to find more details, that would be greatly appreciated
Thank you

pelomedusa

Re: ACPI hardware issue

#3 Post by pelomedusa »

Thank you for your answers.
I think \_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.H_EC.ECAV means it's not the same component. Am i wrong?
AE_ALREADY_EXIST is not the same, i have AE_NOT_FOUND
or
[url]https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=222680[/url
Also, whenever problems like this, check logs.
Also, do you know if this is linked to the error i get in the screenshot (database may be corrupt)?
From what i understand these kind of errors are often linked to NVIDIA drivers, i'll check nvidia logs

dotlj

Re: ACPI hardware issue

#4 Post by dotlj »

It would be helpful to list your hardware, especially GPU and CPU.

In installing you can modify the kernel boot line by pressing the 'e' key and add nomodeset after the kernel boot line. This may help prevent the problem if you have a newer Nvidia GPU.
For older Nvidia GPUs, you shouldn't need to add anything. Depending on the CPU and GPU, you may however need to modify this is /etc/default/grub or have problems when booting after the installation.