input/output errors

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

input/output errors

Postby milomak » 2018-01-31 21:29

what's the best way to deal with these besides a whole reformat?
iMac - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box - Debian Sid
milomak

Re: input/output errors

Postby bw123 » 2018-01-31 22:14

I haven't had to deal with that on ssd yet. Are you sure it's a good idea to delete it all? Depending on size and how full it is, wouldn't that cause an awful lot of writes?

If you won't show the log, some people won't believe it's really happening. Garry will make you read a long post about how to tell if io errors are because your parrot ate your usb cable.
bw123

Postby steve_v » 2018-02-01 05:36

milomak wrote:what's the best way to deal with these besides a whole reformat?
If they are I/O errors from the block device driver, and it's not a driver bug, the only solution is to replace the failing hardware.
Post the exact messages seen in the system log.

If you don't have a decent backup in place already, get one. Transfer any important data off that drive immediately.
Then start by checking all cables and connections, swapping controller ports, and running a long selftest on the drive in question.
If it is the drive, and barring parrot-attacks it probably is, replace it. If it's only a few sectors that are bad, you may be able to force the drive to reallocate them with a tool like this. Heed the warnings, it will destroy data.

bw123 wrote:I haven't had to deal with that on ssd yet.
Where did you get SSD from? Unless I'm missing something, the OP didn't say...

bw123 wrote:Are you sure it's a good idea to delete it all? Depending on size and how full it is, wouldn't that cause an awful lot of writes?

Deleting data won't cause excessive writes, but restoring it might. What wiping it will do is allow the drive firmware to reorganise things for sector reallocation / wear-levelling etc. Exactly what will happen depends how smart the SSD firmware is.
Either way, if a rewrite of 1x the drives capacity is a large portion of remaining write lifetime then it was time to bin the thing anyway.

I did have an old OCZ SSD that got incredibly slow (1MB/s write) and a wipe was the only thing that solved it, but the controller firmware on those is known to be a bit dodgy.
steve_v

Postby bw123 » 2018-02-01 06:32

steve_v wrote:
Where did you get SSD from? Unless I'm missing something, the OP didn't say..

I'm using an older browser, so the post looks like this. Don't know about missing, but I guess it's possible, webpages seem to be served up different sometimes.

Now that I read it again, it looks like three machines? And 6 or 9 operating systems? That's a lot for one to take care of.

Code: Select all
Postby milomak » 2018-01-31 17:29

what's the best way to deal with these besides a whole reformat?
Kodi Box - Debian Sid

milomak   

bw123

Postby steve_v » 2018-02-01 06:48

Ahh. I have sigs turned off.
steve_v

Postby bw123 » 2018-02-01 07:28

steve_v wrote:Deleting data won't cause excessive writes, but restoring it might. What wiping it will do is allow the drive firmware to reorganise things for sector reallocation / wear-levelling etc. Exactly what will happen depends how smart the SSD firmware is. Either way, if a rewrite of 1x the drives capacity is a large portion of remaining write lifetime then it was time to bin the thing anyway.

That's good information. I've been trying to work out in my head the difference between deleting 100 files for 100mb and deleting a partition with 10000 files and 100mb. I guess it really makes no difference?

If an ssd had a large number of small files though, the number of writes is what boggles my mind. I'm not sure it's an issue, just something I think about. The way you are describing things it's only the amount of data we have to think about, not the actual number of writes. It's probably not an issue anyway anymore, most people say ssd will last far longer than expected. I haven't killed one, so that's why I'm curious.

The one thing I do know is that all drives I have ever used get weird when they get over about 50-60% full.
bw123

Postby steve_v » 2018-02-01 07:51

It's total data written not number of files that wears the media, the device operates with blocks (or more accurately flash cells), and has no concept of files at all.
I guess it's possible for the filesystem to cause write-amplification when working with a large number of small files (updating inodes / filesystem tables etc), but I'd expect it to be insignificant.
On most (all?) filesystems a delete operation doesn't overwrite the data anyway, only the pointer to it. For flash (with discard / trim enabled) it also marks the blocks as empty so the firmware is free to mess with them.

The two SSDs in the machine I am using now are 87 & 92% used. No problems here. Most of my stuff (and backups) is on a big spinning-rust ZFS pool though. ZFS is wicked cool.
That pool has a pair of dirt-cheap 60GB SSDs as cache, lifetime writes are at 18506GiB they're still going strong. I say don't worry about it.
steve_v

Postby milomak » 2018-02-18 18:21

steve_v wrote:
milomak wrote:what's the best way to deal with these besides a whole reformat?
If they are I/O errors from the block device driver, and it's not a driver bug, the only solution is to replace the failing hardware.
Post the exact messages seen in the system log.

what would be the command to show the specific i/o errors? dmesg doesn't for instance
edit - let's ignore the ssd as being part of the issue
Kodi Box - Debian Sid
milomak

Postby steve_v » 2018-02-18 20:02

Dmesg certainly should show I/O errors.
Perhaps if you included some information with your question, such as the error you are seeing, we might get somewhere.
steve_v

Postby milomak » 2018-03-23 20:15

steve_v wrote:Dmesg certainly should show I/O errors.
Perhaps if you included some information with your question, such as the error you are seeing, we might get somewhere.

unnervingly i have not seen the i/o errors again but i remain vigilant to them
Kodi Box - Debian Sid
milomak

Return to Hardware