Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

input/output errors

Need help with peripherals or devices?
milomak

input/output errors

#1 Post by milomak »

what's the best way to deal with these besides a whole reformat?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

bw123

Re: input/output errors

#2 Post by bw123 »

I haven't had to deal with that on ssd yet. Are you sure it's a good idea to delete it all? Depending on size and how full it is, wouldn't that cause an awful lot of writes?

If you won't show the log, some people won't believe it's really happening. Garry will make you read a long post about how to tell if io errors are because your parrot ate your usb cable.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by steve_v »

milomak wrote:what's the best way to deal with these besides a whole reformat?
If they are I/O errors from the block device driver, and it's not a driver bug, the only solution is to replace the failing hardware.
Post the exact messages seen in the system log.

If you don't have a decent backup in place already, get one. Transfer any important data off that drive immediately.
Then start by checking all cables and connections, swapping controller ports, and running a long selftest on the drive in question.
If it is the drive, and barring parrot-attacks it probably is, replace it. If it's only a few sectors that are bad, you may be able to force the drive to reallocate them with a tool like this. Heed the warnings, it will destroy data.
bw123 wrote:I haven't had to deal with that on ssd yet.
Where did you get SSD from? Unless I'm missing something, the OP didn't say...
bw123 wrote:Are you sure it's a good idea to delete it all? Depending on size and how full it is, wouldn't that cause an awful lot of writes?
Deleting data won't cause excessive writes, but restoring it might. What wiping it will do is allow the drive firmware to reorganise things for sector reallocation / wear-levelling etc. Exactly what will happen depends how smart the SSD firmware is.
Either way, if a rewrite of 1x the drives capacity is a large portion of remaining write lifetime then it was time to bin the thing anyway.

I did have an old OCZ SSD that got incredibly slow (1MB/s write) and a wipe was the only thing that solved it, but the controller firmware on those is known to be a bit dodgy.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

steve_v wrote:
Where did you get SSD from? Unless I'm missing something, the OP didn't say..
I'm using an older browser, so the post looks like this. Don't know about missing, but I guess it's possible, webpages seem to be served up different sometimes.

Now that I read it again, it looks like three machines? And 6 or 9 operating systems? That's a lot for one to take care of.

Code: Select all

Postby milomak » 2018-01-31 17:29 

what's the best way to deal with these besides a whole reformat? 
iMac - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD) 
Laptop (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10, 
Kodi Box - Debian Sid

milomak   

resigned by AI ChatGPT

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#5 Post by steve_v »

Ahh. I have sigs turned off.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

steve_v wrote: Deleting data won't cause excessive writes, but restoring it might. What wiping it will do is allow the drive firmware to reorganise things for sector reallocation / wear-levelling etc. Exactly what will happen depends how smart the SSD firmware is. Either way, if a rewrite of 1x the drives capacity is a large portion of remaining write lifetime then it was time to bin the thing anyway.
That's good information. I've been trying to work out in my head the difference between deleting 100 files for 100mb and deleting a partition with 10000 files and 100mb. I guess it really makes no difference?

If an ssd had a large number of small files though, the number of writes is what boggles my mind. I'm not sure it's an issue, just something I think about. The way you are describing things it's only the amount of data we have to think about, not the actual number of writes. It's probably not an issue anyway anymore, most people say ssd will last far longer than expected. I haven't killed one, so that's why I'm curious.

The one thing I do know is that all drives I have ever used get weird when they get over about 50-60% full.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by steve_v »

It's total data written not number of files that wears the media, the device operates with blocks (or more accurately flash cells), and has no concept of files at all.
I guess it's possible for the filesystem to cause write-amplification when working with a large number of small files (updating inodes / filesystem tables etc), but I'd expect it to be insignificant.
On most (all?) filesystems a delete operation doesn't overwrite the data anyway, only the pointer to it. For flash (with discard / trim enabled) it also marks the blocks as empty so the firmware is free to mess with them.

The two SSDs in the machine I am using now are 87 & 92% used. No problems here. Most of my stuff (and backups) is on a big spinning-rust ZFS pool though. ZFS is wicked cool.
That pool has a pair of dirt-cheap 60GB SSDs as cache, lifetime writes are at 18506GiB they're still going strong. I say don't worry about it.

milomak

#8 Post by milomak »

steve_v wrote:
milomak wrote:what's the best way to deal with these besides a whole reformat?
If they are I/O errors from the block device driver, and it's not a driver bug, the only solution is to replace the failing hardware.
Post the exact messages seen in the system log.
what would be the command to show the specific i/o errors? dmesg doesn't for instance
edit - let's ignore the ssd as being part of the issue
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#9 Post by steve_v »

Dmesg certainly should show I/O errors.
Perhaps if you included some information with your question, such as the error you are seeing, we might get somewhere.

milomak

#10 Post by milomak »

steve_v wrote:Dmesg certainly should show I/O errors.
Perhaps if you included some information with your question, such as the error you are seeing, we might get somewhere.
unnervingly i have not seen the i/o errors again but i remain vigilant to them

milomak

#11 Post by milomak »

so the errors have cropped up again

# find / -name "libdlfaker.so" -print
find: ‘/run/user/1000/gvfs’: Permission denied
/usr/lib/libdlfaker.so
find: ‘/mnt/hdd/OneDrive/SMSBackup’: Input/output error
find: ‘/mnt/hdd/OneDrive/Videos’: Input/output error
find: ‘/proc/1296/task/1296/net’: Invalid argument
find: ‘/proc/1296/net’: Invalid argument
find: ‘/proc/12222’: No such file or directory
i cannot see any specific errors in dmesg or journalctld

and smartcontrol suggests it is fine

# smartctl -x /dev/sdb
smartctl 6.6 2016-05-31 r4324 [x86_64-linux-4.18.5-towo.1-siduction-amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Blue Mobile
Device Model:     WDC WD10SPCX-24HWST1
Serial Number:    WD-WXJ1AA5ACLEU
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 6b0ffcb79
Firmware Version: 02.01A02
User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    5400 rpm
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ACS-2 (minor revision not indicated)
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Wed Sep 12 19:18:31 2018 SAST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled
AAM feature is:   Unavailable
APM level is:     254 (maximum performance)
Rd look-ahead is: Enabled
Write cache is:   Enabled
ATA Security is:  Disabled, NOT FROZEN [SEC1]
Wt Cache Reorder: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

milomak

#12 Post by milomak »

how do i deal with these files

ls -lah

-????????? ? ?    ?          ?            ?  settings.k9s
d????????? ? ?    ?          ?            ?  SMSBackup
d????????? ? ?    ?          ?            ?  Videos
-????????? ? ?    ?          ?            ? 'World Cup.xlsx'
when i try to delete
# rm -rfv settings.k9s

rm: cannot remove 'settings.k9s': Input/output error

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by p.H »

Looks like filesystem errors. What's the current working directory, what filesystem does it belong to ?

df -hT $PWD

milomak

#14 Post by milomak »

p.H wrote:Looks like filesystem errors. What's the current working directory, what filesystem does it belong to ?

df -hT $PWD
$ df -hT $PWD

Filesystem     Type     Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1      fuseblk  822G  265G  558G  33% /mnt/hdd
it's an ntfs drive

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by p.H »

Check in the kernel log if there are disk errors. If there aren't any disk errors, the NTFS filesystem is just damaged and should be checked from Windows or reformatted.
If there are disk errors, well... the disk may be defective. Or it could be a driver issue.

milomak

#16 Post by milomak »

booting into windows relinked the files

my suspiciion is that there was a failed windows sync. and therefore debian had nothing to reference

anyway this was a onedrive folder that lost 100gb today due to a samsung tab i bought a year ago.

i have a strong confidence that the issues were related to this sync.