Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

FGLRX and Etch: thin line below mouse pointer

Need help with peripherals or devices?
DebianUser_HH

FGLRX and Etch: thin line below mouse pointer

#1 Post by DebianUser_HH »

Hello everybody!

At the present I'm Debian Etch on T43p with ATI FireGL V3200. I installed fglrx driver via Synaptic and ran "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". In the section "Driver" I choose "fglrx", set all other properties and restarted X-server. Afterwards I see regularly a very small thin line below the mouse pointer. The line is changing its colour (depending on the previous background), but it's always there.

As a work-around I decided to use "ati" driver (in this case I see no line), but I would be glad to know the reason for such a behaviour.

I will appreciate any help and any hint!

Thanks in advance,
Andrey.
Lenovo Thinkpad R61i Frankenpad with T8100 / 4GB RAM / 180 GB SSD + Debian 10

kel_p

#2 Post by kel_p »

Man, I am tearing my hair out, I had this problem in the past and remember searching allover the place and not find any info on this.. Eventually I fixed this but I don't remember how!!
I let you know when it comes back to me.. Sorry for not helping you..

DebianUser_HH

More info....

#3 Post by DebianUser_HH »

would be really usefull. At the present I work with "ati" driver, but I'm going soon to give fglrx another try. I hope, I will be able to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Andrey
Lenovo Thinkpad R61i Frankenpad with T8100 / 4GB RAM / 180 GB SSD + Debian 10

timtak

Re: FGLRX and Etch: thin line below mouse pointer

#4 Post by timtak »

This thread is one of the few Google search hits for "line below (my) mouse" and there are no relevant hits for "line below pointer," so I take the liberty of resurrecting this ten year old thread.

I have the same symptom but on Windows, and only on one of my two displays. It is a thin black horizontal line with three thicker white lines superimposed upon it.

I wonder if it was a driver issue.

Someone else has the issue on Ubuntu
https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index. ... 41346.html

furquan

Re: FGLRX and Etch: thin line below mouse pointer

#5 Post by furquan »

timtak wrote:This thread is one of the few Google search hits for "line below (my) mouse" and there are no relevant hits for "line below pointer," so I take the liberty of resurrecting this ten year old thread.
You should not resurrect a 10-year old thread. Things have changed a lot since then (Etch is long dead, for starters), perhaps most of the information given in this thread no longer even applies. Create your own thread if you're having problems, in the relevant section. Don't create more than one thread and you won't be breaking any rules but resurrecting a 10 yo thread will only lead to confusion.
timtak wrote: I have the same symptom but on Windows, and only on one of my two displays. It is a thin black horizontal line with three thicker white lines superimposed upon it.
Someone else has the issue on Ubuntu
https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index. ... 41346.html
This is a Debian forum, as you may have noticed by now. If someone is having this problem on Ubuntu then it's their problem not yours. You're asking a Windows question in a Debian forum, Linux and Windows are not even remotely similar to begin with. And even if you are the person that is having this problem on Ubuntu, ask in their forum, not this. Ubuntu is not Debian.

I hope you understood what I meant to say. If this problem concerns Debian, then by all means create a new thread; if not, then perhaps it's best that you politely take your leave :-)
The source code for the kernel, library, etc. should fit on one diskette. Sources for the GNU utilities will vary (and will be big). The sources to GNU emacs will take at least 3 disks. -- Theodore Ts'o, 1992 (distributing the first Linux disks)