Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] ASUS GL553VE no keyboard backlight control

Need help with peripherals or devices?
astronos2007

[SOLVED] ASUS GL553VE no keyboard backlight control

#1 Post by astronos2007 »

Hello, everybody!

I am an old Debian fan who has just purchased a new laptop, an ASUS GL553VE. Of course, I experienced problems with the function keys at first, but after deep searches, I found that upgrading the kernel fixes some things. Done, I upgraded to the latest kernel possible in the backports, 4.14-3-bpo and I have some functionality now, but: enabling / disabling touchpad does not work, airplane mode does not trigger the LED, no control over the keyboard backlight, but the rest of the controls (Fn+Fx keys) work fine.

My main problem is controlling the ASUS keyboard backlight, which I found to be a pain in the butt for many folks on the internet.

From what I researched, it appears I should have the file /sys/class/leds/asus::kbd_backlight/brightness
but I don't. All people from the internet forums talk about this file and all scripts written in python or some other fixes I found rely on this file I don't have... and I am very frustrated I didn't find a kernel patch or something to enable the damn thing.

I managed to install an experimental build of kernel 4.15-rc8 which appears to have control over the backlight, but no headers for it, as it requires gcc-7... that's awful, I can't upgrade half of my system just to install the headers, so I can build modules (like NVIDIA driver). So, I can't use and rely on that kernel. I need NVIDIA and Bumblebee.

Does anyone know a fix for this? I am just tired of searching, I searched for days and days and nothing worked. I tried everything, from changing kernel parameters (acpi_osi=<everything_I_found_online>......) to installing scripts and the ACPI daemon.

I use Debian Stretch 9.3 64 bit.
Thank you!
Last edited by astronos2007 on 2018-02-03 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: ASUS GL553VE no keyboard backlight control

#2 Post by bw123 »

I am very frustrated I didn't find a kernel patch or something to enable the damn thing.
Looks like a couple people have managed it on 4.10 and 4.12 so maybe you could get it working somehow on a debian kernel?
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=194557
I am an old Debian fan who has just purchased a new laptop, an ASUS GL553VE.
Just curious why you picked this one with all the problems involved?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

astronos2007

Re: ASUS GL553VE no keyboard backlight control

#3 Post by astronos2007 »

Thank you for your response!

I tried with another kernel, I installed some from the Debian repos, but to no avail. So, I decided to compile my own kernel from kernel.org. Version 4.15 works like a charm!

So, for other people who face the same problem, it is fixed in kernel 4.15 stable. You may compile it like this:
1) Download the .tar.xz archive from http://www.kernel.org
2) Unpack it with

Code: Select all

tar xf ./linux-4.15.tar.xz
3) Change directory to the extracted folder:

cd ./linux-4.15
4) Copy your old config file from the current kernel you are using. In my case, I did:

cp /usr/src/linux-headers-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64/.config ./
5) Build the kernel:

make dpkg-deb
It will ask you for some new config settings in the first phase. I left everything at default, except for that stupid patch for kernel memory addresses separation which I set to "NO", because I don't want performance issues.
If you get into errors, check that you have all the dependencies installed (packages like build-essentials, libssl-dev etc.)
6) Install the kernel and its headers:

sudo dpkg -i ../linux-headers-4.15.0_4.15.0-1_amd64.deb ../linux-image-4.15.0_4.15.0-1_amd64.deb
7) Reboot and enjoy controlling your keyboard lights :)
Just curious why you picked this one with all the problems involved?
I picked this model because it had great reviews and great benchmarks on performance behaviour. I am in need of CPU power and GPU power for my studies and my work. I do not need it for gaming (although is a gaming laptop), but its specs are perfect for a student like me :) Didn't know about the problems when I bought it though :(