Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Vega 64 on Debian 9

Need help with peripherals or devices?
stevepusser

Re: Vega 64 on Debian 9

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Mesa must be built against a newer llvm for it to use it. Since you still have the stock Stretch Mesa that was built against 3.9, that's what it's using.

The good news is that the heavy llvm backports are already done for you. Backporting the rest of the packages for Mesa takes only a small fraction of the total CPU cycles that llvm does.
MX Linux packager and developer

TrevorKSmithKS

#17 Post by TrevorKSmithKS »

stevepusser wrote:Mesa must be built against a newer llvm for it to use it. Since you still have the stock Stretch Mesa that was built against 3.9, that's what it's using.

The good news is that the heavy llvm backports are already done for you. Backporting the rest of the packages for Mesa takes only a small fraction of the total CPU cycles that llvm does.
Understood, thanks. So to get this working, i need to backport new Mesa Packages. Maybe im going about this wrong.

Im running the following command to show me currently install mesa pacakges.

Code: Select all

root@M14EBR:~# dpkg-query -l | grep mesa
ii  libegl1-mesa:amd64                            13.0.6-1+b2                                amd64        free implementation of the EGL API -- runtime
ii  libgl1-mesa-dev:amd64                         13.0.6-1+b2                                amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX development files
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64                         13.0.6-1+b2                                amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
ii  libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64                         13.0.6-1+b2                                amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX runtime
ii  libglapi-mesa:amd64                           13.0.6-1+b2                                amd64        free implementation of the GL API -- shared library
ii  libgles1-mesa:amd64                           13.0.6-1+b2                                amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL|ES 1.x API -- runtime
ii  libgles2-mesa:amd64                           13.0.6-1+b2                                amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL|ES 2.x API -- runtime
ii  libglu1-mesa:amd64                            9.0.0-2.1                                  amd64        Mesa OpenGL utility library (GLU)
ii  libglu1-mesa-dev:amd64                        9.0.0-2.1                                  amd64        Mesa OpenGL utility library -- development files
ii  libwayland-egl1-mesa:amd64                    13.0.6-1+b2                                amd64        implementation of the Wayland EGL platform -- runtime
ii  mesa-common-dev:amd64                         13.0.6-1+b2                                amd64        Developer documentation for Mesa
ii  mesa-utils                                    8.3.0-3                                    amd64        Miscellaneous Mesa GL utilities
ii  mesa-va-drivers:amd64                         13.0.6-1+b2                                amd64        Mesa VA-API video acceleration drivers
ii  mesa-vdpau-drivers:amd64                      13.0.6-1+b2                                amd64        Mesa VDPAU video acceleration drivers
I then attempt to see if newer versioning are available from the backports, but it seems everything returns to be already up to newest version.

After looking around a little more, should i be backporting mesa from buster? https://packages.debian.org/source/buster/mesa

Is that the correct course of action or am i doing something wrong?

I appreciate the help.

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

Earlier in this thread I gave a link to a repository on the OBS where I had already backported llvm-5.0 and Mesa 17.3--have you tried those to see if they are new enough? I tested those with an Intel Skylake 520 GPU and it worked, but I have no AMD hardware to do any further testing.
MX Linux packager and developer