Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ndiswrapper fails on kernel update

Need help with peripherals or devices?
whereverjustice

ndiswrapper fails on kernel update

#1 Post by whereverjustice »

I just installed debian a week ago. After quite a bit of wrangling, I got ndiswrapper working for my integrated wireless (bcmwl5) - on kernel version 2.6.8. Today I got the image to move up to 2.6.11, but ndiswrapper now does not work right.

ifup gives an invalid device message. Everything seems right under ndiswrapper -l (in that the driver and hardware are present), but ndiswrapper does not have a listing under modprobe. I couldn't find an updated ndiswrapper package in aptitude for the new kernel version, so I tried copying the old 2.6.8-386 version from /lib/modules/misc into a 2.6.11-686 folder of the same name. But when I modprobed it, it said the package was invalid.

Is there a way to get ndiswrapper to work with the latest kernel? Should I be recompliling ndiswrapper locally? Any help is appreciated.

anon

#2 Post by anon »

ndiswrapper can be compiled with module-assistant.
(also note that the kernel-image-* is now linux-image-* starting with 2.6.12)