Touchpad stops working randomly.

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Touchpad stops working randomly.

Postby Coline » 2018-02-25 09:04

Hi,

The touchpad of my Acer Swift 1 stops working randomly. I don't really know what to do about that.

• It happens when I'm using Firefox (but I only use this PC for that, so...)
  • I was using xserver-xorg-input-libinput when the problems first appears.
  • I have installed xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, but the problem still appears.
  • It doesn't stop working a lot...Maybe 3 times in the past week.
  • I don't do something special.
  • I can't move the cursor.
  • The "Tap button" doesn't work but I didn't try the physical button for the moment
  • I didn't try to connect a mouse. (I'm going to test next time)
  • If I close the lid, the PC goes in suspend and when I wake the PC, the touchpad works.
  • I tried to let the PC in idle (maybe a power manager thing...), but it doesn't create the bug...
  • The keyboard works when the problem appears.

I don't really know what to look and what to do. Could it be a hardware problem ? (The PC is new)

Thanks for your suggestions ! :)
Coline

Re: Touchpad stops working randomly.

Postby bw123 » 2018-02-25 11:06

Coline wrote:Could it be a hardware problem ?

https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=Acer+Swift+touchpad
bw123

Postby Coline » 2018-02-25 12:12

Thanks for the word "freezing". I didn't think about this one when I was searching for similar issues. :)

So, I guess the problem is "hardware". I can't do anything to make it work perfectly. I think I have to send the laptop to the manufacturer...:(

I can't find a lot of similar problems on Windows. It seems like a Linux-issue...

EDIT : Actually, when I use synclient, it says : Couldn't find synaptics propreties. No synaptics driver loaded.
I thought installing xserver-xorg-input-synaptics would be enough, but I was wrong.
I've created a file : /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf, it works.
Coline

Postby debiman » 2018-02-27 07:05

maybe this isn't a synaptics touchpad?
it requires a different driver?
debiman

Postby emariz » 2018-02-27 13:25

libinput10 and libinput-bin landed at Testing last week, what caused issues on my laptop (lack of precision being the worst.) There are no bug reports on the Debian Bug Tracker, but there are countless bug reports upstream. [1]
This system uses the driver xserver-xorg-input-libinput.

I had to downgrade both libraries (from version 1.10.0-1 to 1.9.4-2) using Debian Snapshot [2], and then put them on hold within Aptitude.

This may be related to your problem.

1. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cg ... t=libinput
2. http://snapshot.debian.org/
emariz

Postby pylkko » 2018-02-27 18:02

Could also be a grounding issue with the laptop power supply. I have seen something like this happen on an old laptop with a bad psu. The touchpad would stop working apparently randomly and sometimes slow down or other such thing. Then it would work normally whenever the power supply was not attached and the laptop was on battery. After switching the PSU to a new one (with supposedly proper capacitance grounding) it worked again. This problem may be hard to diagnose, as in this case that I am referring to, the problems would occur only when the psu was inserted in some power sockets, but not in other ones.
pylkko

Return to Hardware