Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Video Issues on a Notebook Computer

Need help with peripherals or devices?
James

Video Issues on a Notebook Computer

#1 Post by James »

A couple of problems...

I have a [Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family] video card for my laptop computer [HP Pavillon dv4000]. I have to set the driver to 'VESA' or X-Server will fail to start with the error message 'no sceens found'; I am pretty sure it is supposed to be set to i810 for that hardware. Also, the max rez on my monitor is 1280x960 at 60 Hertz verticle refresh. Also, I could only select 800x600 and 640x480 under desktop preferences, and the only refresh rate is 72, which may explain all the terrible flickering (as the only suppored refresh rate seems to be 60. I even went back and manually set the verticle and horzontal refresh rates for this laptop screen and it was still the exact same choices... is this due too the fact that im forced to use 'VESA'?

If anyone has any ideas, please, I could use a little help... thanks!

sprucio

#2 Post by sprucio »

Try Knoppix to see exactly what hardware driver is being used.