Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Monitor turning off after a few minutes of playing a video!

Need help with peripherals or devices?
eor2004

Monitor turning off after a few minutes of playing a video!

#1 Post by eor2004 »

Hi guys, I'm having this issue on Debian 9 KDE Plasma 5, when I start to watch a movie or video on my hard drive or when watching a video on Youtube, the screen goes black after only a couple of minutes of watching it, when going to KDE Power Management "System Settings" this message appears: "Power management configuration module could not be loaded, the power management service appears not to be running, this can be solved by starting or scheduling it inside "Startup and Shutdown", I have looked on internet and on this forum for the answer but I get no clear answer on how to fix it, Apparently the power management module cannot load so I cannot set the "Energy Saving" features for my monitor, so any of you had this issue with debian 9 plasma 5 and know how to fix it? Thanks for your time!

P.S. Feel free to ask me any additional input you may need to help fix this issue!
Last edited by eor2004 on 2018-03-31 01:20, edited 3 times in total.
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

eor2004

Re: Monitor turning off after a few minutes of watching vide

#2 Post by eor2004 »

Update: I have read somewhere on the internet that "Kactivitymanagerd" has to be enabled at startup in order for "Power Management" to work, so I have added "Kactivitymanagerd" in "System Settings / Startup and Shutdown" programs to startup list and now I can go to "System Settings / Power Management" and the "Energy Saver" options or features appears! I will now set the minutes for the monitor to "switch off" and see or test if it works ok, if it works ok or not, I'll be updating the info here for anyone interested in this issue, thanks!

P.S. I forgot to say that some applications like video players suppress the monitor "Switch Off" feature or option, and the Screensaver from activating before the set time in the "Energy Saving" Settings, but in order for this to work "Power Management" has to be enabled, I think this was my case or issue, like I said before, I'll be updating if it worked like it should or not, need some time to run some tests!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

yeah kde doesn't have a screensaver, so maybe some other pkg (or Xorg) is blanking the screen?

Code: Select all

$ xset -dpms s off
$ xset q | grep 'timeout\|DPMS is'
The power management is called powerdevil and I had the same issue, sometimes a big red X. I don;t know what kactivitymanager is I don't even see that anywhere in startup/shutdown... I also don;t see any "Energy Saver" thing anywhere so how you got that? For me it is called "Energy Saving" so maybe it is different in different language?

The solution (for me) is in file /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.UPower.conf

remove the two <allow sections referring to
"org.freedesktop.UPower.KbdBacklight"

On the machine with no keyboard backlight, this was causing powerdevil to not start correctly. Could be fixed after desktop appeared:

Code: Select all

$ ps ax | grep power
  714 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/lib/upower/upowerd
  758 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/org_kde_powerdevil
 1159 pts/4    S+     0:00 grep power
$ kill 758
$ pkill -f org_kde_powerdevil && /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/org_kde_powerdevil &
resigned by AI ChatGPT

eor2004

#4 Post by eor2004 »

bw123 wrote:The power management is called powerdevil and I had the same issue, sometimes a big red X.

Yes, when going to Power Management a big red X with the error message I stated in the first post appeared!
bw123 wrote:I don;t know what kactivitymanager is I don't even see that anywhere in startup/shutdown...
In System Settings / Power Management / Startup and Shutdown, click on "Add a Program" in the little box write "Kactivitiymanagerd" without the quotes, it will appear, you click on the name and it will be added to the "Startup Programs" and start automatically when login on your computer.
bw123 wrote:I also don;t see any "Energy Saver" thing anywhere so how you got that? For me it is called "Energy Saving" so maybe it is different in different language?
Sorry, is a typo error on my part, it should read "Energy Saving".

eor2004

#5 Post by eor2004 »

Well, here's what I found on my first test, since I have added "kactivitymanagerd" to "Startup" programs, now the screen or monitor doesn't turn or switch off after starting watching some videos, the second test will be setting the screen "Energy Saving" to turn or switch off my monitor after 60 minutes of inactivity, I want to test if the system will be obeying the set time of 60 minutes to turn monitor off, will be updating info soon!

eor2004

#6 Post by eor2004 »

Update: It worked, adding "Kactivitymanagerd" to "Startup Programs" fixed the issue I was having with my system, I will mark this Post as Solved and move on.

What do you guys think, should I make a bug report for this issue to Debian devs or to KDE devs? because I think "Kactivitymanagerd" should be enabled by default!

eor2004

Re: Monitor turning off after a few minutes of playing a vid

#7 Post by eor2004 »

Update: Reinstalled Debian Stable with Plasma 5.8 last week and the issue I was having now has gone, maybe it was fixed in a recent update before I had reinstalled plasma 5, so marking this as solved.