Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Fairphone 2 secure deletion

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Deblib

#1 Post by Deblib »

I would like to make a secure deletion from my computer with Debian 9 of a Fairphone 2 (with Fairphone Open OS) so that someone else can use it. It has a flash memory of 32 GB. Can you guide me? Thank you.

jibberjabber

Re: Fairphone 2 secure deletion

#2 Post by jibberjabber »

See:

Code: Select all

man dd

If the manual is not enough , a tiny bit of search foo:
Copy paste these keywords:

Code: Select all

How to wipe a drive using dd 
into your favourite search engine,
1 of several hundred results:http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_wip ... n_in_Linux

Oh, and you should read this: Please Read.. What we expect you have already Done.
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

If the phone has the Android file hierarchy, please remember that if you dd everything, you will likely brick the device. For example, you probably want to be able to boot the phone into recovery or bootloader mode! On standard android file hierachy the user's data is in whatever is mounted at /data and cache files are in /cache.

jibberjabber

#4 Post by jibberjabber »

Oh, no, apology , I misunderstood this ;
I would like to make a secure deletion from my computer with Debian 9 of a Fairphone 2 (with Fairphone Open OS) so that someone else can use it.
I thought the OP wants to remove the data from the PC,.... any way
sorry about that.

In any event, a search still gives a lot of information:
The first hit:
https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/ ... airphone-2
Or maybe you want to sell the phone to someone else?
In either case, you might want to erase all the information stored on your device. Let us show you how to reset your Fairphone 2 to factory settings.

Please note

A return to Factory Settings will delete all your data!
Before you perform the reset we recommend - if possible - to make a thorough backup. Save your pictures, music and all private files or make a mirror image of the content of your phone. You can save them on a micro-SD card, on your computer or synchronise with your Google account.
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

Deblib

#5 Post by Deblib »

Deblib wrote:so that someone else can use it.
But going back to the factory settings is not a safe deletion. What I want is for my data to be irretrievable. Is making dd on /storage/emulated/0 the right path?

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

It is widely believed that data cannot be recovered from flash media after overwriting it with dd, except by instances like the CIA, GCHQ and some friends of Vladimir Putin. If you want to be paranoid you can do several passages, first writing ones then zeros and then random.

What locations you should clear depend on what tweaks to the operating system (android?) the manufacturer has done.