Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sound installation with debian stretch

Need help with peripherals or devices?
rdsparla

Sound installation with debian stretch

#1 Post by rdsparla »

Hello, I mounted a htpc with the new micros Ryzen 3 vega 2200G, everything works very well with Debian 9.4 stretch and with mate desktop, the sound card, incorporated in the base card is Realtek ALC 892. When I look at what card I have I get: Advences micro devices, INC. AMD / ATI device 15 dd and 15e3, and in gnome program: Press Gnome audio I get a tab with ATI R6xx HDMI with options to mark IEC 958. I tried all the possible configurations with Alsa and Pulseaudio, if I put Aplay -l I get an analog output for ALC 892 and 5 HDMI Cards without driver then The analog output works for me, but not for HDMI. There are no drivers for this type of AMD built-in graphics, for Linux, only for Windows. The asRock manufacturer of the base card, and those of AMD tell me to install Windows. I refuse to leave Debian. I do not get output through HDMI, It's an htpc, I use it with the TV screen. Somebody could help me. I would be very grateful.

Wheelerof4te

Re: Sound installation with debian stretch

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

You will need kernel and non-free firmware from backports. That card is way too new for Stretch's kernel. Google how to setup backports repo and install the newest kernel.

tynman

#3 Post by tynman »

That card is way too new for Stretch's kernel.
Which card are we saying is too new? (The Realtek ALC 892 has been around for a few years... maybe that's not the card you meant?)

OP says (I think) there are no drivers loaded for HDMI. What is this conclusion based on, other than no signal on HDMI outputs? Suggest posting the actual output from the "aplay -l" command.

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

tynman wrote:Which card are we saying is too new?
Ryzen 3 vega 2200G
That's why there's no HDMI sound.

tynman

#5 Post by tynman »

Ryzen 3 vega 2200G is a CPU. Is it relevant in a discussion about a computer with misbehaving sound?

When I read this, I thought maybe the latest, new-fangled CPUs now have integrated audio as well as integrated graphics. But I searched for info on that, and could find nothing to support it, so I am doubtful.

(My guess is that the motherboard audio chips that do everything audio-wise that most people would want are so good (especially in the digital realm) and so cheap, there would be no point to moving audio support to the CPU. Ha ha, now I sound like I think I know something about CPU design. I do not.)

Wheelerof4te

#6 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Ever heard of an integrated graphics? AMD usually brands their CPUs as APUs.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-2200g
https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd- ... en-3-2200g
Those CPUs have it, and you clearly said you have AMD card. Those cards are not supported in Stretch's kernel, so you will need Linux kernel from backports along with firmware-amd-graphics package, also from backports.