Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

My processor good enough for software raid 1?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
jalisco

My processor good enough for software raid 1?

#1 Post by jalisco »

I have a low power file/print/test web server. I don't host anything other than the most basic stuff.

I want to reconfigure my server with RAID 1, since I have enough unused HDD laying around.

Unfortunately, my motherboard does not support RAID in the bios. It's a low power (low processing) AMD E-350D APU with integrated graphics.

I obviously did not think about setting up a RAID system at the time of purchase.

Originally, I was just going to go with a hardware RAID type solution, which would have required me purchasing a PCI card. I was game, until I realized, most of the cheaper cards, well, they are only fakeraid, as some call it--which I guess explains the low pricing. The legit cards seem to cost almost as much if not more than my entire server! haha anyway.

After reading, it seems that software raid, esp. 0 and 1, perform about as good as hardware solutions.

I will try it out, as soon as I backup data, see how it works.

Does anyone have any experience running software raid 1 on lower power systems?? Does it work? Again, the system is not particularly taxed at any time. But, I also don't want the processor to be at 100% all the time =)

Can my processor work with RAID 1, 2 Simple SATA drives being mirrored??
Thanks.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: My processor good enough for software raid 1?

#2 Post by steve_v »

Of course, you're only talking about RAID1 so there's no parity to calculate or other CPU intensive tasks involved. Even a 486 would probably be quite capable of saturating any drives you could install in it.

I'm running RAID1 on my PCEngines APU2 (AMD GX-412TC) with no issues.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

jalisco

#3 Post by jalisco »

Ok thanks for the reply. I will give it a go.

lbm

#4 Post by lbm »

Yes, you should be fine, as long as you do not encrypt the disks/RAID.