Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian rebooting after grub screen with a ga-945gcm-s2c

Need help with peripherals or devices?
furtadopires

Debian rebooting after grub screen with a ga-945gcm-s2c

#1 Post by furtadopires »

Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-945gcm-s2c
Bios ver: F6b
Memory: 1Gb
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00GHz
Distro: Debian 9 Stretch
Kernel version: 4.9.0.6-amd64

Hello,

I'm trying to use Debian 9 with an old Gigabyte ga-945gcm-s2c, and I'm having an curious problem:

If I turn on the computer normally (with battery) the system will reboot right after the grub screen (even with safemode).
But if I remove the power cable and the battery, and turn on again (forcing an "Checksum error") then Debian will start normally the first time. But if I reboot or turn off and on again (without removing the power cable) the reboot will happen again.

I'm not very hopeful that someone here will know the reason, but I still want to ask if someone know what could be causing this problem?

Thank you.

bw123

Re: Debian rebooting after grub screen with a ga-945gcm-s2c

#2 Post by bw123 »

Try a fresh battery. Over the yrs I have noticed that a cmos batt that is nearly dead from a slow drain will often spike to 3+ volts when tested. The batt is dead, but does not seem to know it yet? Nobody knows what affect the spike in voltage has on tiny little chips expecting steady 3v power.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

furtadopires

#3 Post by furtadopires »

bw123 wrote:Try a fresh battery. Over the yrs I have noticed that a cmos batt that is nearly dead from a slow drain will often spike to 3+ volts when tested. The batt is dead, but does not seem to know it yet? Nobody knows what affect the spike in voltage has on tiny little chips expecting steady 3v power.
Thanks for the answer

It's not the battery because even without one the reboot still happen. The only time it start Debian normally is when I completely remove the power from motherboard and turn it on like "the first time" (without clock/bios config). Otherwise will be looping the reboot after grub screen (like if it try to run something but fail, then reboot the system).

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

I have used motherboards with cmos battery pulled out a time or two, but I'm not sure it's a good idea on all boards. I'm thinking it's a circuit that needs to be complete, even if it has external power?

Seems a simple enough experiment, put in a fresh batt and eliminate one possibility. Or maybe go into the bios and setup the clock and peripherals to 'best performance' or whatever default it has and see if that helps.
resigned by AI ChatGPT