Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Webcam isn't detected but was.

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Coline

Webcam isn't detected but was.

#1 Post by Coline »

Hi,

I use Debian Stretch on a Acer Swift 13". The webcam worked out of the box (for example, with cheese) and the microphone too. But for some weeks, the webcam and the mic don't work at all (in audacity or in cheese...).
Few weeks ago, they didn't work, but when I switched users, they worked.
But it doesn't work anymore.

I can't see the hardware with lspci or lsusb...
I can't activate them in the BIOS neither.
They don't work with a liveUSB (linuxmint).

The computer has only 4 months, I don't know what to do. Thanks for your help ! 

stevepusser

Re: Webcam isn't detected but was.

#2 Post by stevepusser »

It might just be bad hardware or a loose connection, which is quite difficult to diagnose without taking the thing apart. But the on and off way in which it was working lends weight to that theory, as does the way it doesn't work in Mint any longer.
MX Linux packager and developer

Coline

#3 Post by Coline »

I think so but I have no right to look inside the computer (the warranty would be off...). I am looking for a shortcut to activate the webcam, but I can't find any.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

At least in the USA, those stickers have been ruled invalid. You have every right to try and repair your own device. But if it's still under warranty and the webcam is important to you, getting it fixed under warranty is probably your best option.
MX Linux packager and developer