Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

cpu fan disabled after suspend

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Capsicum

cpu fan disabled after suspend

#1 Post by Capsicum »

I can not find the configuration that is causing Debian to override my UEFI fan speed, I need a direction to dig.
I have set the CPU fan speed in uefi and it works as expected from a fresh boot, but if my system goes to suspend then after waking the cpu-fan just sits and twitches or if I give it a fast spin with my finger it will maintain about 100rpm.
This started in december 2017, my workaround for expediency was just to plug the cpu-fan into a system-fan header.
I have tried a couple speed profiles in uefi, selecting suspend from the graphical menu, "systemctl suspend" from a GUI terminal as well as after booting into multi-user.target
(off topic a bit; if I start in graphical and move to a tty and "systemctl isolate multi-user.target" then switch between tty's with alt-F# and happen to hit alt-F8 the display freezes(but background music from pianobar on tty2 keeps playing) only solution seemed to be ctl-alt-del, did it twice to make sure)

System info:
desktop, Gigabyte ga990fxa-ud3 rev4.0, AMD fx8320
Debian Stretch Xfce
uname: 4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.5-1~bpo9+1
(this also occurred with 4.15 bpo and possibly some another kernel version that I can not remember)
I have virtualization disabled in firmware, most if not all acpi options turned on, and C6 core-state enabled.

debiman

Re: cpu fan disabled after suspend

#2 Post by debiman »

i found this:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/i ... -mode.html
it seems downgrading the bios helped.