Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Strange external hard disk behavior

Need help with peripherals or devices?
NewUserWithQuestions

Strange external hard disk behavior

#1 Post by NewUserWithQuestions »

Hello there, new debian user with an issue here.
I have an external hard disk (ext4, 250GB) connected to my computer through usb where I store some music. I have the following problem: everytime I listen to some music coming from said hard disk, there would be times when my CPU works at 100% of capacity and the music player is unable to continue. This will go for 10-15 seconds regardless of music player used or file cache size.

I run the disks util to measure the performance of this hard disk, seems like there are some issues when reading, but I'm not experienced enough with hard disks to tell what the issue is.

bigrigdriver

Re: Strange external hard disk behavior

#2 Post by bigrigdriver »

Which music player do you use?
Registered GNU/Linux user #170078

Go ask google before you ask on these boards.

It it isn't broken, Tweak It !!!

debiman

Re: Strange external hard disk behavior

#3 Post by debiman »

what is taking the 100% cpu?
please open a terminal, enter 'top' or 'htop', and watch the output as you reproduce the problem.

is the problem always reproducible?
is it only with music, and always the same player, or also other stuff?

also output of

Code: Select all

mount|grep sd
fdisk -l
assuming it's really a hard drive problem, you might want to get into smartmontools and do some tests: http://dt.iki.fi/hard-drive-and-fs-health-checks