Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trying to install on LSI RAID on TX100 S3

Need help with peripherals or devices?
GarryRicketson

Re: Trying to install on LSI RAID on TX100 S3

#21 Post by GarryRicketson »

If the install is advancing, even very slowly , do not abort it . In some of the documentation I read last night, I remember seeing something about it could take several hours, depending on the OS.
In your first post:
Using USB Drive with bootable ISO: Debian 9.4.0 AMD64 NetInst
Are you sure it is also able to connect to internet, if it can not establish a connection, it will only be able to install a very minimal system ?
It sounds like it has connected, and is going ok, obviously though , the speed will depend a lot on how good your internet connection is, for me , mine is very poor, and slow, installing a full version of Debian, with DE, is essentially impossible. To download a full version, with DE, and make a CD or DVD can take up to 12 hours or more, for me, ... but any way that is another topic.
Also, some where , you mentioned about using Debian, with the CinnamonDE,
is that what you are trying to install ?
A DE of any kind, would slow down the install considerably, they are all rather bloated, === looks like I am going to drift into another topi , sorry, but anyway,
that leads to one more question, Why, or what is the purpose for setting up the
Virtual Disk or disks, ? Are you planning to setup a webserver,,and hosting, or what ?
I know, your reasons really don't matter, but on the other hand there is some things I would like to suggest, but I need to know more about what you plan to do with this, I mean it is much more then just a Desktop PC, it is intended as a server, etc,... if it is just experimenting , to learn, then I have several suggestions, if it is intended to be a on-line server, then I also have some suggestions, but I need to know more about what your intentions , plans are for this machine.
I still have not had breakfast, just finished chores, etc,... will be back later.
P.S,
>then I booted into the installer, and followed THIS GUIDE.
I took a quick look at the guide, and it seems ok,... any way I need to get some food in me, or I really will start rambling, it is hard to concentrate and stay on topic when one is hungry.
In a nut shell, I was thinking to suggest trying to setup another VD , and install something simple, small to it, Debian can be rather difficult even on a real HD,
but for now ,we will have to just see how this goes, since it appears to be installing, ...

KF-Dale

#22 Post by KF-Dale »

GarryRicketson wrote:If the install is advancing, even very slowly , do not abort it . In some of the documentation I read last night, I remember seeing something about it could take several hours, depending on the OS.
I've left the machine on at the office with the install running, just switched the monitor off is all. Hopefully it'll be done by the morning.
GarryRicketson wrote:Are you sure it is also able to connect to internet, if it can not establish a connection, it will only be able to install a very minimal system ?
I believe it connected ok, as it attempted DHCP first (which is disabled on our network), then I setup the connection manually and it accepted the settings, didn't give any errors and got the time from a NTS.
I did completely forget I was using a netinst iso, that probably would explain why it's taking so long... our network is shite as I explained briefly below. I think I need to wake up a bit when doing this stuff I'm not even remembering the basics...
GarryRicketson wrote:the speed will depend a lot on how good your internet connection is
The internet line is pretty good to the router, but our switch or something along those lines is configured poorly, as the speeds per device are much slower than the full line capacity... we inherited a crap setup from a previous company - long story and topic for another day...
GarryRicketson wrote:you mentioned about using Debian, with the CinnamonDE,
is that what you are trying to install ?
I was using a Debian live USB with CinnamonDE to test the server, it's also what I used to get the lsblk and lspci outputs... I'm not actually installing that and I have no intentions of putting a DE on the server in question when it's actually up and running (which it hopefully will be tomorrow considering that I have left the installer running for the night).
GarryRicketson wrote:A DE of any kind, would slow down the install considerably,
Precisely why I am going to avoid it.
GarryRicketson wrote:that leads to one more question, Why, or what is the purpose for setting up the
Virtual Disk or disks, ? Are you planning to setup a webserver,,and hosting, or what ?
Just playing around to see if I could get it working really... it will be a webserver amongst other things but only on an intranet... but the server will have internet access.
GarryRicketson wrote:there is some things I would like to suggest, but I need to know more about what you plan to do with this
  • Web Server (nginx & php most likely)
  • Database Server (mariadb)
  • General other play/test environment junk
GarryRicketson wrote:I still have not had breakfast
Mate this isn't that important, go get some food absolutely... but thank you for all of your help so far, I very much appreciate it.

GarryRicketson

#23 Post by GarryRicketson »

Your welcome,
(which it hopefully will be tomorrow considering that I have left the installer running for the night).
Hmm, at the end of the install, it finishes up with the grub installation, at which point you are asked if you want to install grub, and where, I suppose as long as the connection does not time out or get broken, or something, it won't matter.
Any way I guess we just need to wait and see, tomorrow how it turned out.
Thanks for clarifying on what your plans are for the server, interesting project,...
For the moment I am going to hold off on any suggestions, until we see if the Debian install works. good luck

KF-Dale

#24 Post by KF-Dale »

So I got right to the end of the installation, at the point as you mentioned of installing GRUB. I tried both disks and they both give a 'fatal error' when trying grub-install. Looks like the next hurdle... I followed this guide (I think very) precisely, and it mentioned nothing about potentially getting this error.

EDIT: I realised I had missed out on creating a bootable partition on the array... and worse yet I cannot edit the partitions on array now... so I am going to start again.

KF-Dale

#25 Post by KF-Dale »

Had further issues with install freezing up when I was trying to partition the drives the second time around... on the back of this I decided that at least based on what I was going to use this server for, it was taking me too much time.

I installed on a single drive and all is now working.

GarryRicketson

#26 Post by GarryRicketson »

Is the "single drive" the actual HD, or a Virtual Disk, ?

KF-Dale

#27 Post by KF-Dale »

GarryRicketson wrote:Is the "single drive" the actual HD, or a Virtual Disk, ?
The actual hard drive, the server only has 1 drive connected now, and it's guided partitioning across the full HD.