Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Audio stopped working after reboot on Debian Testing

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Carvool

Audio stopped working after reboot on Debian Testing

#1 Post by Carvool »

I've been looking up and down for solutions to this issue but I'm absolutely stumped. My computer had been playing audio just fine this morning, but after restarting the system, I can't get it to play no matter what. It may have been a long while since I actually had restarted my computer after a big update, so maybe that has something to do with it. Still, this isn't like any audio output issues I've had before.

Here's the device info from lspci -v.

Code: Select all

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 40
	Memory at d4820000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
	Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
Opening pavucontrol, I can see the audio and volume visualized, but there's no actual sound playing from the speakers or through headphones. The configuration tab says "No cards available for configuration" and "Dummy Output" is the only thing listed under output devices. I've unmuted everything possible using alasamixer (under HDA Intel PCH) but to no success. I've ensured that sound works on other systems, so it seems that there's nothing really wrong with the hardware itself. I've also purged and reinstalled pulseaudio, tried renaming ~/.config/pulse and restarting, and similar tactics, again, to no avail.

Help would be much appreciated, I'm absolutely stumped. It's like, the system thinks the sound is working, but it's not making any sounds.

GarryRicketson

Re: Audio stopped working after reboot on Debian Testing

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

I don't know but it seems like I have seen a few posts similar to this one, and recently, also involving Debian testing,... this thread is one,
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 13#p676563
Maybe it will help

Carvool

Re: Audio stopped working after reboot on Debian Testing

#3 Post by Carvool »

Browsed the posts you provided and it actually ended up being quite helpful. Had forgot I had a test song playing in the background when I uninstalled timidity and it began blaring in the middle of the uninstall process.

So there's some sort of conflict between timidity and pulseaudio.

I'd also like to mention that ALSA alone worked (after uninstalling pulseaudio) with VLC, but I just couldn't get audio with Firefox (I assume because it requires pulse.) So ALSA + timidity is sorta fine, but pulseaudio + timidity just does not function. Interesting.

Edit: might have also just had firefox muted when testing with ALSA. Just had to unmute it haha