Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem removing interface br0

Need help with peripherals or devices?
banderas20

Problem removing interface br0

#1 Post by banderas20 »

Hello,

the other day I installed the package "bridge-utils" and added a br0 interface. Now I have purged the package and removed the lines regarding br0 from interfaces file by hand.
However, after "service networking restart" and "ifconfig", br0 is still there.

I have issued an apt-get autoremove to uninstall dependency packages, with no success.

Now I have 2 packages which I have tried to uninstall, that look like this:

pi libatk-adaptor:amd64
pi libatk-bridge2.0-0:amd64

If I try to purge them, it complains:

Code: Select all

dpkg --purge libatk-adaptor:amd64
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of libatk-adaptor:amd64:
 python3-pyatspi depends on libatk-adaptor (>= 2.11.2).

dpkg: error processing package libatk-adaptor:amd64 (--purge):
 dependency problems - not removing
Errors were encountered while processing:
 libatk-adaptor:amd64
¿what does "pi" mean? ¿How can I workaround the dependency problems?

¿Any help?

Thanks and regards!

bw123

Re: Problem removing interface br0

#2 Post by bw123 »

"service networking restart" doesn't do exactly what people expect. Also, editing your interfaces file while the ifaces are up and then restarting networking isn't the best way. Bring them down with ifdown, then edit the interfaces file, then ifup you don;t need to use "service networking restart" for that.

There's a description of pkg states in man dpkg-query be careful using dpkg directly. It's easy to really hose the system. You can use apt instead, it's much safer until you can read up on the dpkg tools.
The first three columns of the output show the desired action, the package
status, and errors, in that order.

Desired action:
u = Unknown
i = Install
h = Hold
r = Remove
p = Purge

Package status:
n = Not-installed
c = Config-files
H = Half-installed
U = Unpacked
F = Half-configured
W = Triggers-awaiting
t = Triggers-pending
i = Installed
resigned by AI ChatGPT

banderas20

Re: Problem removing interface br0

#3 Post by banderas20 »

bw123 wrote:"service networking restart" doesn't do exactly what people expect. Also, editing your interfaces file while the ifaces are up and then restarting networking isn't the best way. Bring them down with ifdown, then edit the interfaces file, then ifup you don;t need to use "service networking restart" for that.

There's a description of pkg states in man dpkg-query be careful using dpkg directly. It's easy to really hose the system. You can use apt instead, it's much safer until you can read up on the dpkg tools.
Hello and thanks for pointing that out.

¿Which is the equivalent for "apt-get" to "dpkg autorremove" to uninstall unnecessary dependencies?

Thank you again!