Sound card and Monitor with Loudspeakers

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Sound card and Monitor with Loudspeakers

Postby larry77 » 2018-08-17 07:00

Dear All,
A question which reveals my ignorance about hardware :-) : I have a workstation HP Z420, see

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp ... on/5225033

My model has its own sound card and I have no problem with it. Suppose at some point I will buy a monitor with in-built loudspeaker.
Is it a bad idea? Will I suffer some echo effect? Will the system automagically give preference e.g. to the monitor speakers?
Cheers
larry77

Re: Sound card and Monitor with Loudspeakers

Postby bw123 » 2018-08-17 12:15

If it was my system, I would research the connection available (hdmi?) and the types of monitors available with speakers.
https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=monitor+with+speakers

Personally, I don't like all-in-one or combination devices, and never did. I always preferred to build audio using separate components. I think some of the combined solutions now make a lot of sense though, like bluetooth speaker systems. Maybe that would be one way you could go?
bw123

Re: Sound card and Monitor with Loudspeakers

Postby debiman » 2018-08-18 07:56

larry77 wrote:My model has its own sound card and I have no problem with it. Suppose at some point I will buy a monitor with in-built loudspeaker.
Is it a bad idea?
only you can answer that question.
it might require some additional steps to configure, but i don't see any linux compatibility problems there.

Will I suffer some echo effect?
i don't think so; you just have to try if you like the sound comning from 2 pairs of speakers.

Will the system automagically give preference e.g. to the monitor speakers?
probably not, but it shouldn't be a problem to configure that.
debiman

Return to Hardware