Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sound card and Monitor with Loudspeakers

Need help with peripherals or devices?
larry77

Sound card and Monitor with Loudspeakers

#1 Post by larry77 »

Dear All,
A question which reveals my ignorance about hardware :-) : I have a workstation HP Z420, see

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp ... on/5225033

My model has its own sound card and I have no problem with it. Suppose at some point I will buy a monitor with in-built loudspeaker.
Is it a bad idea? Will I suffer some echo effect? Will the system automagically give preference e.g. to the monitor speakers?
Cheers

bw123

Re: Sound card and Monitor with Loudspeakers

#2 Post by bw123 »

If it was my system, I would research the connection available (hdmi?) and the types of monitors available with speakers.
https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=monitor+with+speakers

Personally, I don't like all-in-one or combination devices, and never did. I always preferred to build audio using separate components. I think some of the combined solutions now make a lot of sense though, like bluetooth speaker systems. Maybe that would be one way you could go?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

larry77 wrote:My model has its own sound card and I have no problem with it. Suppose at some point I will buy a monitor with in-built loudspeaker.
Is it a bad idea?
only you can answer that question.
it might require some additional steps to configure, but i don't see any linux compatibility problems there.
Will I suffer some echo effect?
i don't think so; you just have to try if you like the sound comning from 2 pairs of speakers.
Will the system automagically give preference e.g. to the monitor speakers?
probably not, but it shouldn't be a problem to configure that.

larry77

#4 Post by larry77 »

Thanks for the replies. I will get back to the forum when the moment to select a new monitor comes.