Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lenovo T530 blanking display issue

Need help with peripherals or devices?
xendistar

Lenovo T530 blanking display issue

#1 Post by xendistar »

I have installed Debian testing along with XFCE desktop on to my Lenovo T530 laptop (spec below)

Code: Select all

mit@Pyro:~$ inxi -b
System:    Host: Pyro Kernel: 4.17.0-3-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4 
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 24296JG v: ThinkPad T530 serial: <root required> 
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 24296JG v: Win8 Pro DPK TPG serial: <root required> 
           UEFI [Legacy]: LENOVO v: G4ETB2WW (2.72 ) date: 04/10/2018 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 77.4 Wh condition: 79.7/93.6 Wh (85%) 
CPU:       Quad Core: Intel Core i7-3630QM type: MT MCP speed: 1808 MHz min/max: 1200/3400 MHz 
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108M [NVS 5400M] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.1 driver: modesetting,nouveau unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1600x900~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile v: 4.2 Mesa 18.1.6 
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network driver: e1000e 
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] driver: iwlwifi 
           Card-3: Ericsson Business Mobile Networks BV type: USB 
           driver: cdc_acm,cdc_wdm,cdc_ncm 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 465.76 GiB used: 4.71 GiB (1.0%) 
Info:      Processes: 217 Uptime: 4m Memory: 7.48 GiB used: 985.5 MiB (12.9%) Shell: bash 
           inxi: 3.0.20 
In regards to power saving modes when the laptop is on regardless of being on mains or battery, I want the display to blank after 12 minutes of non-use, then when I hit a key or move the mouse I want it to come back to life and I have to enter my password to start using the laptop again. What actually happens is the laptop blanks the screen and then refuses to come back to life, moving the mouse or any combination of key pressing will resume the session. The display is blank although it is turned on and the hard disk light does flicker from time to time. I have to press the power button to turn the laptop off and then restart the laptop.

I set the laptop it so that if I shut the lid of the laptop it suspend and then when I open the lid back up it starts at the point where I left it after asking me to log back in again, this works as expected and with out issue.

I have configured the setting via the XFCE power management, I have a PC running a derivative of Debian testing and I am using the same setting on there (for the blanking the monitor bit) and that set up works perfectly on the PC.

Any suggestions?

debiman

Re: Lenovo T530 blanking display issue

#2 Post by debiman »

i have heard of this issue in regards to suspend or hibernate, but never simple screen blanking.
are you sure your power management isn't set tu go straight to suspend or something?

in any case, it seems you are not the only one:
https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?qu ... n+blanking

please keep us posted.