Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is it possible for (Debian) Linux to kill an SSD?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Is it possible for (Debian) Linux to kill an SSD?

#16 Post by p.H »

all SATA drives are themselves IDE devices
Bullshit. IDE is Parallel ATA.
L_V wrote:★ reserve at least 10% totally free space on SSD (= no partition)
You can also create a partition to mark the space as reserved and not use it. Note that SSDs already provide overprovisioning, as much as 10% on some models. SSD space is still expensive, don't waste it uselessly. Also, it is reported that ext4 works better with at least 10% free space, so it may be better to set 10% reserved space in the filesystems than reserve 10% of the raw SSD space.
L_V wrote:★ don't use swap if not needed (can be disabled in fstab)
Even when swap is enabled, it is not used (or marginally) when not needed.
L_V wrote:★ browser cache should use memory instead of SSD.
If you mean to store browser cache into tmpfs, it is advised to enable swap when using tmpfs.
L_V wrote:F2FS seems unknown by classical partition tools (at least by default)
What are you calling "classical partition tools" ? fdisk does not care about the filesystem type.
L_V wrote:don't know if F2FS is safely recommended for SSD
F2FS was primarily designed for flash block devices such as USB pendrives or SD cards with "dumb" flash translation layer (FTL). SSDs have advanced FTL which already does what F2FS does (and more) and should not benefit much of F2FS. However it supports TRIM/discard so can be safely used on SSD.
L_V wrote:Is Debian proposing F2FS during installation ?
No, the Debian installer does not support F2FS.
L_V wrote:it seems GRUB does not support F2FS
Indeed, so /boot cannot be on F2FS with GRUB.

Note also that the default initramfs generator does not include the f2fs module (and its softdeps) by default, so if you want / on F2FS, you must add them in /etc/initramfs/modules.

Segfault

#17 Post by Segfault »

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#18 Post by p.H »

This is good news. However the GRUB version in the current Debian stable release "stretch" does not support F2FS yet. Hopefully in the next stable release.

L_V

#19 Post by L_V »

Grub2/F2FS support looks like a minor issue as long as F2FS is not proposed during installation process, even by Netinstall "expert mode" (at least for test purpose for those not using Grub2).
Would be eager to know how many Debian users currently use F2FS for their Debian system on SSD.

BTW, the main question is .... : is F2FS a real added value for SSD ?
→ not so convincing as seen previous page ( http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=680531#p680531 )

More generally, would be good to identify what are the "official" configuration Debian recommendations for SSD (very likely need to be updated).
https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization ... timization

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#20 Post by p.H »

L_V wrote:Grub2/F2FS support looks like a minor issue as long as F2FS is not proposed during installation process, even by Netinstall "expert mode" (at least for test purpose for those not using Grub2).
I disagree. The Debian installer is not the only way to install a Debian system.
You can copy an existing installation to F2FS and do the necessary adjustments in fstab, initramfs and boot loader by hand. This is what I did.
You can also use debootstrap to install directly on F2FS.

But the lack of support by GRUB forces to either
- use a boot loader supporting F2FS (I don't know any)
- use a filesystem-independent boot loader such as LILO which relies on static file-to-block mapping. However I would not trust it on a log-structured filesystem even though f2fs seems to allow file mapping (unlike nilfs2, another log-structured filesystem which is supported by GRUB)
- or put /boot on a separate filesystem type supported by the boot loader, which seems the only reliable option to me.

L_V

#21 Post by L_V »

p.H wrote:You can copy an existing installation to F2FS and do the necessary adjustments in fstab, initramfs and boot loader by hand.
Yes sir...: https://howtos.davidsebek.com/debian-f2fs.html

But again, isn't the first key question: is F2FS a real added value for SSD ?
I suppose that if the answer is "yes of course", more effort would have been spent on F2FS deployment since 2013.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by p.H »

L_V wrote: is F2FS a real added value for SSD ?
Probably not, as I wrote earlier. My use of F2FS is on USB thumbdrives.