Black screen after sleep/lock screen

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Black screen after sleep/lock screen

Postby Faust » 2018-08-30 11:36

I have a laptop with an NVIDIA GPU in it, on which I installed Debian 4.9.0. Since booting with a the Intel driver on board leaves me stuck with a maximum resolution of 1024x768, i decided to give the NVIDIA driver a go, to see if that solves my problem.

I installed the NVIDIA driver using:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get nvidia-driver

After rebooting, the laptop boots just fine, and the resolution is up to what it should be, 1920x1080. However, when I use the lock screen, or close the laptop lid, or if it goes into sleep mode, it comes back to a black screen after I move the mouse to wake it up ( this does not happen with the Intel driver). I can't type anything, and using Alt+F2 does not give me a tty. The only recourse is using Alt+Ctrl+Del twice so the laptops reboots.

I have tried multiple things, including trying to add Xorg config files, but so far nothing works. Uninstalling the driver reverts me back to my starting point, where I have a low resolution, bu sleep/screen lock works as intended.

Can anyone help me to get this thing with the NVIDIA driver working? Please let me know if you need any additional information.
Faust

Re: Black screen after sleep/lock screen

Postby debiman » 2018-08-30 18:13

are you sure it's the nvidia driver causing the problem?
have you tried to go back to nouveau?

i have seen this exact issue a few times recently; have you tried downgrading the kernel?
what did your online searches reveal (i am sure you have done these extensively before posting)?
debiman

Return to Hardware