Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Black screen after sleep/lock screen

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Faust

Black screen after sleep/lock screen

#1 Post by Faust »

I have a laptop with an NVIDIA GPU in it, on which I installed Debian 4.9.0. Since booting with a the Intel driver on board leaves me stuck with a maximum resolution of 1024x768, i decided to give the NVIDIA driver a go, to see if that solves my problem.

I installed the NVIDIA driver using:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get nvidia-driver
After rebooting, the laptop boots just fine, and the resolution is up to what it should be, 1920x1080. However, when I use the lock screen, or close the laptop lid, or if it goes into sleep mode, it comes back to a black screen after I move the mouse to wake it up ( this does not happen with the Intel driver). I can't type anything, and using Alt+F2 does not give me a tty. The only recourse is using Alt+Ctrl+Del twice so the laptops reboots.

I have tried multiple things, including trying to add Xorg config files, but so far nothing works. Uninstalling the driver reverts me back to my starting point, where I have a low resolution, bu sleep/screen lock works as intended.

Can anyone help me to get this thing with the NVIDIA driver working? Please let me know if you need any additional information.

debiman

Re: Black screen after sleep/lock screen

#2 Post by debiman »

are you sure it's the nvidia driver causing the problem?
have you tried to go back to nouveau?

i have seen this exact issue a few times recently; have you tried downgrading the kernel?
what did your online searches reveal (i am sure you have done these extensively before posting)?