Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian testing installing advice and info

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Vortex

Debian testing installing advice and info

#1 Post by Vortex »

Dear all,

I'm relatively newbie to Debian and the whole "desktop and graphics" topic alltogether.
Can you tell me what kind of X server (Xorg, Wayland?) a fresh Testing installation uses with which GPU of my two ones ?

Hardware is a Lenovo Y520 entry level gaming laptop with Intel GPU + dGPU from nVidia (1050Ti).

Yesterday I made a fresh Debian install with the newest Testing installer and choosing GNOME. After 1st system boot I recognized I can run Firefox browser via right-click onto the icon on the dedicated GPU.

So it means a simple default install with no extra settings is using Optimus (Bumblebee) tech already ?
Via the nouveau driver ?
Was I on Intel GPU on the desktop while I saw the option to run Firefox on dGPU ? (then I assume yes, as a default it used Intel).

However, I heard some bad things about the nouveau driver so I went for bumblebee-nvidia .. rebooted.. and .. not sure if it worked but for the Firefox launcher the option on right click saying running Firefox on dGPU was missing.

Since then I couldn't manage to reinstall the nouveau stuff, after boot, before desktop the whole screen just blinks couple of times then freezes.
I did a new fresh install again :) (Don't kill me for that pls) :)

In general: what shall I do to bring the most out of Optimus dual GPU tech while working with factory non-free nvidia driver if I choose dGPU ? Any special commands or anything else.. ? :?:

My goal is to use Intel GPU for everything and sometimes dGPU when needed. When I manage to get to this with nvidia proprietary drivers I hope I can retain all the good behaviour when switching to a Xen kernel and making dom0 of my fresh installation. :mrgreen:

Vortex

Re: Debian testing installing advice and info

#2 Post by Vortex »

Just FYI on the other hand with none of the setups above has Firefox hardware acceleration.

I used to test video acceleration with a youtube video, "Peru 8k" .. full HD consumes around 25-30% CPU, 4K around 80-90% and is lagging a bit (no bandwidth issues) so apparently when I click on Firefox normally (and it uses the Intel GPU I assume) it doesn't accelerate video.. when I right-click on Firefox and run on the dedicated nvidia GPU it doesn't use video acceleration either.

debiman

Re: Debian testing installing advice and info

#3 Post by debiman »

i would have to answer most of your questions with "no, you got that wrong"....

in any case, i think you will be happier with ubuntu if you need a newbie-friendly hybrid graphics setup.

and always read up on things before asking or messing with your system.