Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Recommendations on a good Wi-Fi usb dongle or adapter

Need help with peripherals or devices?
eor2004

Recommendations on a good Wi-Fi usb dongle or adapter

#1 Post by eor2004 »

Hi, guys, can you give me a good recommendations based on your personal experiences for buying a good wifi usb dongle or adapters that are compatible with debian and have a very good reception, I live in a concrete home on the second floor, the router is on the first floor, the distance from the router and my computer is like 15 to 20 feet and signal has to go through a couple of concrete walls, thanks in advance!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Recommendations on a good Wi-Fi usb dongle or adapter

#2 Post by CwF »

If you can locate a SL-3504N. Confirmed works and better than anything other than the converted router I use as an "adapter". It's a big dongle, usb connection and external antennas. My top choice for mobile inbuilt wifi.

IamJeffers

#3 Post by IamJeffers »

An SL-3504N? Thanks! Will keep that in mind.

By the way, just in case anyone's interested, my cousin Merle is selling a few Foose Wheels. If anyone's interested, feel free to PM me.
Last edited by IamJeffers on 2019-11-13 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

eor2004

#4 Post by eor2004 »

Thank you!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

just a side note, while sorting out an issue I posted in another thread I dug this thing out. Typical it's in a travel bag and not used daily. I'm having provider problems so I fired up a windows box with a hybrid blootooth/wifi dongle, that also does work on debian btw, and it could see 3 wifi signals. It's flakey. So I plugged in my trusty SL-3504N chinese gadget to an XP VM I knew had the drivers, and BAM 12 wifi signals, all with an extra bar or two....

So I reaffirmed by coincidence, yes it rocks.

You will need the firmware-misc-nonfree