Switching to graphics chipset with AMDGPU?

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Switching to graphics chipset with AMDGPU?

Postby khelben1979 » 2018-09-22 20:26

I would like to know if there's a control center for the AMDGPU driver provided by the xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu package? I have a AMD Carrizo graphics chipset over here on an HP laptop and because of the heat and noise I always have the setting in my AMD Control Center to use the graphics chipset and the graphic card totally disabled. I'm still waiting to upgrade my OS (Debian Jessie) over here, but I don't want to mess it up so I patienly wait to next year, just to make sure I get as little bugs as possible even though the Debian 9 has been in the state of "stable" for some time now. So this is an important issue for me, to know if this setting exist or not. Thanks for your help!
khelben1979

Re: Switching to graphics chipset with AMDGPU?

Postby bw123 » 2018-09-22 22:39

That's an interesting issue. I have used older radeon boards for a long time on linux, and always used the free radeon driver. The boards all require the non-free firmware. I think the pkg name is firmware-amd-graphics now, but it used to be firmware-radeon IIRC.

Your post isn't real clear about what driver you are using that has the control center? That was a windows thing back in the day, CCC was the Catalyst Control Center. It was also kind of Cranky, Crappy, and Complicated. I never used that on linux, where did you get it? if you have to disable features on the board to control heat and noise, then why would you want to keep that?

I never really had too many issues with heat or noise using the default radeon drivers, but I have used utilities to hack the fan controls on radeon boards occasionally. Sometimes the fan runs at a low speed and then suddenly goes full blast on some cards, there are utilities to smooth out the ramp. The driver really has nothing to do with that, it's the video bios you can edit the fan percentages based on temp.

I saw one of your older posts where Bulkley suggested trying a live stretch installation, so what happened? Did you get the same heat and noise issues? Did you try live with persistence so you could use the firmware?

Heat and noise when using a radeon display device isn't uncommon, but I guess you should get to the bottom of it, instead of workarounds. How much heat? and how much noise? and do you have a way to measure the radeon board fan speed?
Last edited by bw123 on 2018-09-22 23:00, edited 3 times in total.
bw123

Postby stevepusser » 2018-09-22 22:55

I've never heard of a graphical control center for amdgpu or the radeon driver; I assume you'd instead add options to a conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to configure the driver, the same as for all the other free drivers.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, 4.19.5 kernel, wine-staging 4.0~rc1, Pale Moon 28.2.2, Mesa 18.2.6, Midori 7.0
stevepusser

Postby khelben1979 » 2018-09-23 08:23

I'm using: AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver. OS: Debian Jessie with latest security updates.
As for performance and settings, I'm perfectly happy with how things are now regarding the drivers. The fan of the computer has been
configured by BIOS and the AMD software does not touch those settings. My settings is set at only start when it get's too warm, I'm using
a laptop cooler as well..

So the only thing I'm wondering over here is how to edit that config file in order to get the free open source driver to work as good as my
current non free driver does with Jessie? That would be interesting, I can do without GUI, but it would have been nice to have!

As for testing the new Debian 9, I burnt a Live CD and tested it. The graphics and everything worked good from the start, but the laptop made
much noise because it was using the inbuilt graphics card instead of the graphics chipset, so that's not acceptable.
/Bear Spirit

Computer: HP Pavilion 15-ab102no ( Debian 8 )
khelben1979

Postby bw123 » 2018-09-23 13:13

I looked up "AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver" on the web and found the installer pretty easy. I did not find one for debian specifically, but did find an Ubuntu page with links to it. I don't know if it would work on stretch, and ATI/AMD are pretty famous for having confusing versions of their drivers. Their documentation would probably be the best place to find an answer to your question.

Why don't you follow up with some better machine specs, including lspci info and xrandr output. Some people might find it helpful.
https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

If I was in your situation I would probably set up a stretch install on another partition and test it for awhile, and keep the jessie install so you can use it until you figure out the best way to upgrade.

Using proprietary drivers is going to make upgrades complicated. In the long run, once the graphics board becomes "legacy" the proprietary drivers will leave you stranded, with no upgrade path.
bw123

Postby khelben1979 » 2018-09-23 13:29

Yes, I don't intend to use non-free graphics drivers with Debian 9. Making a dist upgrade will break my current graphics drivers, I'm very certain of that! So that will be a mess I'm gonna take care of manually once I make a dist upgrade. My Carrizo chipset is fully supported by the open source Radeon driver, and that's the one I'm going for. I just need a way to make it work as good as my current non-free driver does, in the way that I can fully disable the graphics card, so far that seems to be the main issue over here. Other issues could be that some old software starts to malfunction due to updated libraries, but those things should have been tested by the Debian developers i.m.o.

My laptop is this:
HP Pavilion Notebook 15-ab064no-Nordic (model from august 2015)
/Bear Spirit

khelben1979

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-09-23 13:36

khelben1979 wrote:I don't intend to use non-free graphics drivers with Debian 9. Making a dist upgrade will break my current graphics drivers, I'm very certain of that!

Remove the xorg configuration file and the blacklist that the proprietary installation applies to the free drivers; I think amdgpu may need a kernel parameter to be activated, there was a recent thread about that here.
dbruce wrote:Ubuntu forums try to be like a coffee shop in Seattle. Debian forums strive for the charm and ambience of a skinhead bar in Bacau. We intend to keep it that way.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby milomak » 2018-12-06 20:52

khelben1979 wrote:I'm using: AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver. OS: Debian Jessie with latest security updates.
As for performance and settings, I'm perfectly happy with how things are now regarding the drivers. The fan of the computer has been
configured by BIOS and the AMD software does not touch those settings. My settings is set at only start when it get's too warm, I'm using
a laptop cooler as well..

So the only thing I'm wondering over here is how to edit that config file in order to get the free open source driver to work as good as my
current non free driver does with Jessie? That would be interesting, I can do without GUI, but it would have been nice to have!

As for testing the new Debian 9, I burnt a Live CD and tested it. The graphics and everything worked good from the start, but the laptop made
much noise because it was using the inbuilt graphics card instead of the graphics chipset, so that's not acceptable.

what does your xorg.conf look like?

is this below likely a result of running sid
Code: Select all
error: Detected X Server version 'XServer 1.20.3_64a' is not supported. Supported versions are X.Org 6.9 or later, up to XServer 1.10 (default:v2:x86_64:lib:XServer 1.20.3_64a:none:4.19.2-towo.1-siduction-amd64:)
Installation will not proceed.
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop: Lenovo ideapad Y700 [nVidia Optimus] (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Debian Sid
milomak

Postby khelben1979 » 2018-12-06 21:03

The xorg.conf:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "0-LVDS"
Option "DPMS" "true"
Option "Disable" "true"
Option "TargetRefresh" "60"
Option "Position" "0 0"
Option "Rotate" "normal"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "0-DFP1"
Option "DPMS" "true"
Option "PreferredMode" "2560x1440"
Option "TargetRefresh" "60"
Option "Position" "0 0"
Option "Rotate" "normal"
Option "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "Monitor-LVDS" "0-LVDS"
Option "Monitor-DFP1" "0-DFP1"
BusID "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

No SID packages installed, only backports activated.
Last edited by khelben1979 on 2018-12-06 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
/Bear Spirit

khelben1979

Postby milomak » 2018-12-06 21:06

if you still have the downloads, could you run
./check.sh
Detected configuration:
Architecture: x86_64 (64-bit)
X Server: XServer 1.20.3
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
milomak

Postby stevepusser » 2018-12-06 22:33

Section "Device"
Driver "fglrx"
EndSection

The fglrx driver does not work with anything newer than Jessie.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, 4.19.5 kernel, wine-staging 4.0~rc1, Pale Moon 28.2.2, Mesa 18.2.6, Midori 7.0
stevepusser

Postby milomak » 2018-12-06 22:43

stevepusser wrote:
Section "Device"
Driver "fglrx"
EndSection

The fglrx driver does not work with anything newer than Jessie.

i suspected this
milomak

Postby llivv » 2018-12-07 04:47

unless it's in jessie backports
jessie still uses ati
man ati
info ati

the available settings are in the man page
man amdgpu
info amdgpu

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-amdgpu.conf
Section "Device"
Identifier "ati-0"
Driver "amdgpu"
EndSection

Xorg -configure
X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
man amdgpu
unless the autogenerated conf files does everything you need

all the proprietary blob needs to be purged before the free driver will work correctly.
https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
llivv

Return to Hardware