Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Home-Server with Debian/GNU Linux and (XEN) Virtualization

Need help with peripherals or devices?
stef2707

Home-Server with Debian/GNU Linux and (XEN) Virtualization

#1 Post by stef2707 »

Hello, Good evening,

I'm looking for server hardware running Debian/GNU Linux. The server should run...
a) Nextcloud for calendar, contacts and centralized data storage including media and
b) Pi-Hole.
To have those two separated and work next on an mail-sever and maybe something else I would like to use virtualization. I've tested XEN in the past and would use this again.

Now I stuck a little with the hardware. Small and affortable servers are rare. What I found is the HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 X3418 @ 648,55 EUR (https://www.hpe.com/de/de/product-catal ... 30707.html). I would add three WD Red 2TB HDD using software RAID5.

Anyone using this server with Debian?
Any alternative proposal for hardware? Maybe better buying components?

Looking forward hearing from you. Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards
Stefan
Running Debian/GNU Linux "Stretch" with Xfce on Lenovo ThinkPad E540 and
three RaspberryPi with Nextcloud, Pi-Hole and Kodi.

stef2707

Re: Home-Server with Debian/GNU Linux and (XEN) Virtualizati

#2 Post by stef2707 »

Hello,

Nothing yet... I've checked the internet for some options and created a little overview... https://www.dropbox.com/s/voby270p937vr ... r.pdf?dl=0

I think the smaller hard disk drives on the Fujitsu and Lenovo systems would be okay for my purposes. Unfortunately it is not possible to configure the other systems with the same small drive therefore the the comparison is somewhat unfair but enough for me.

I am currently tending to the Fujitsu system.

What do you think about those servers?

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Kind regards
Stefan
Running Debian/GNU Linux "Stretch" with Xfce on Lenovo ThinkPad E540 and
three RaspberryPi with Nextcloud, Pi-Hole and Kodi.